Quick Charge L3 in LA, San Bernardino, Riverside Counties

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glendale Nissan's is also set at 90%, which stopped at 82% SOC (per Gid Meter) and ten bars on my car...

Valdemar said:
They have their charger pre-set to 80%, same is Downtown LA. 80% on charger display results in 8 bars only on my '11. Charger in Carson was not set for 80% last time I used it and it stopped at 90% on charger display and 10 bars on the dash.

I wonder if it's different for the '13, I seem to remember someone reported some differences between '11 and '13 when using Blink QC.

tbleakne said:
timhebb said:
The Sumitomo QC unit installed by LADWP at its west 3rd Street building downtown between Bixel and Beaudry is now operational.
Thank you for your report. I would like to put this site on Plugshare, but more precise location information would be helpful. I could not find an address on DWP websites. On Google Maps I see a substantial parking lot on the south side of 3rd street, W. of Boylston, bordered by some trees on 3rd street and a 4-story building on the West. Is this the correct location?

The physical address is 1230 W 3rd St, Los Angeles, CA 90017

I stopped by here today in the company ICE to grab a couple of pictures. When accessing the site from 3rd St, you will need to do a little zigzag in the parking lot to access the charger located on the south side of the building.

Valdemar said:
nexusplexus said:
Think we will have more company at these QC sites in the near future.
http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s/products/chademo-adapter

Which QC sites would that be? Ecotality went belly up, so I suspect the few Blinks around here will be dead soon. Nissan dealerships are out. What's left? Mitsubishi HQ, CSUN, and Dana Point?

How about the upcoming 200 eVgo Freedom Stations? They'll be serving up some Chademo electrons that Teslas can sip on to the tune of 150 mph....

Randy said:
Valdemar said:
nexusplexus said:
Think we will have more company at these QC sites in the near future.
http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s/products/chademo-adapter

Which QC sites would that be? Ecotality went belly up, so I suspect the few Blinks around here will be dead soon. Nissan dealerships are out. What's left? Mitsubishi HQ, CSUN, and Dana Point?

How about the upcoming 200 eVgo Freedom Stations? They'll be serving up some Chademo electrons that Teslas can sip on to the tune of 150 mph....

Yeah... Any news on this? I lost hope already.

Posted this under "L.A. Metro Area Leafers" but it belongs here as well:

One of the first Quick Chargers to appear on the west side of L.A. is now operational just east of the Playa del Rey/Marina del Rey area.

TBWA\Chiatt\Day, Nissan's advertising agency, has installed the unit along with two Aerovironment L2 EVSE units just outside their multi-story parking garage at 5353 Grosvenor Blvd., just west of Centinela and north of Jefferson Blvd.

The QC unit there is not the compact sleek Nissan-branded Sumitomo unit found at dealerships, but is rather a clunky-looking, hulking red box which seems to predate the stylish newer style units. It more resembles the giant Blink QC boxes, but with even less appeal. It looks like something out of Stalinist Russia, actually.

But it works. When I pulled up to it tonight around 7:30 the display showed some kind of fault and failed to budge when I plugged in and tried to charge. So I switched off the Fritz Lang-inspired throw switch, and then back on. The behemoth rebooted itself and, when I pressed the Start button, it began to charge my Leaf. It continued well past 90% before I powered it off with the Stop button. No access card or fob or attendant required.

The agency's parking lot and garage entrances are wide open to the street and ungated, so the charging units are technically accessible 24/7. No security guards were to be seen except for one uniformed figure seated behind a large observation window in a guard roost on the second floor of a separate building looking over the parking areas. He did not appear to notice or be concerned about my activities if he did.

This promises to be the first of several more QC installations on the west side of town, including QCs at or near UCLA, LAX and in Venice on Abbot Kinney Blvd. (unrelated to the Nissan ad agency).

timhebb said:
Posted this under "L.A. Metro Area Leafers" but it belongs here as well:

One of the first Quick Chargers to appear on the west side of L.A. is now operational just east of the Playa del Rey/Marina del Rey area.

TBWA\Chiatt\Day, Nissan's advertising agency, has installed the unit along with two Aerovironment L2 EVSE units just outside their multi-story parking garage at 5353 Grosvenor Blvd., just west of Centinela and north of Jefferson Blvd.

Did you get an official OK to use it? I knew the station was there (it's actually been there for over a year), but they were having a difficult time opening it to the public due to objections from the property management company.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=8325&p=229209#p229209" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mwalsh said:
Did you get an official OK to use it? I knew the station was there (it's actually been there for over a year), but they were having a difficult time opening it to the public due to objections from the property management company.
1) Seeking approval is just asking for rejection and disapointment, in my view. There are the quick, and there are the chargeless.

2) I realize that sounds flip, but in this case the preponderance of evidence suggests this location is intended for public use. The fact that this is Nissan's ad agency is a subtle but strong indicator of that; surely it would be Nissan's desire. The fact that there is no signage indicating restricted usage of EVSE that is ungated and very visible is another indicator.

If the property managers have a problem with that, it seems to me the agency has some obligation to post signage discouraging public access, at the very least. After all, the lot is open to agency guest and visitor parking, and it might be expected some of them would avail themselves of the very conspicuous facilities.

And finally, see number 1) above. I intend to continue using this facility when it's convenient until told otherwise.

Glendale Nissan, including their QC, seems to have disappeared from the Plugshare map.
It is still listed on Recargo, but last report was several months ago. Can anyone confirm their QC is still available ?
I was planning to use it this Friday, Oct 18.

Are Blink QCs still working during the bankruptcy, using the funds Nissan gave them ?

I used it about a month ago...

tbleakne said:
Glendale Nissan, including their QC, seems to have disappeared from the Plugshare map.
It is still listed on Recargo, but last report was several months ago. Can anyone confirm their QC is still available ?

Complained to Nissan via chat last week. Glad they listened and put all the Nissan QC stations back on plugshare.

Valdemar said:
... Ecotality went belly up, so I suspect the few Blinks around here will be dead soon. ...
I sincerely doubt that. Car Charging just spent $3.3m or so to acquire the Blink network, so I'll be surprised if they are simply allowed to crumble.

We should really resist the temptation to start silly rumors.

davewill said:
Valdemar said:
... Ecotality went belly up, so I suspect the few Blinks around here will be dead soon. ...
I sincerely doubt that. Car Charging just spent $3.3m or so to acquire the Blink network, so I'll be surprised if they are simply allowed to crumble.

We should really resist the temptation to start silly rumors.

I hope you're right, but they never really worked reliably. I expect at least this trend to continue.

The Sumitomo DC Quick Charger installed in the far northwest corner of LADWP's open parking lot accessed from the Gate 6 entrance on Hope St. downtown is operational and open for business, no fob required. This complements the one previously installed by DWP less than a mile west at their facility at 1230 W. 3rd St.

I have not asked them if they will relax their entrance restrictions for the QC, so it can be accessed after 5pm or on weekends. It only makes sense to do so, but DWP's EVSE access policies sometimes undercut their own mission, which is to encourage EV acceptance, adoption and usage.

timhebb said:
The Sumitomo DC Quick Charger installed in the far northwest corner of LADWP's open parking lot accessed from the Gate 6 entrance on Hope St. downtown is operational and open for business, no fob required. This complements the one previously installed by DWP less than a mile west at their facility at 1230 W. 3rd St.

I have not asked them if they will relax their entrance restrictions for the QC, so it can be accessed after 5pm or on weekends. It only makes sense to do so, but DWP's EVSE access policies sometimes undercut their own mission, which is to encourage EV acceptance, adoption and usage.
Humm. Both locations? No FOB? Well, I certainly have paid into the DWP system over the years if that means there's no charge to charge....

timhebb said:
The Sumitomo DC Quick Charger installed in the far northwest corner of LADWP's open parking lot accessed from the Gate 6 entrance on Hope St. downtown is operational and open for business, no fob required.
While pulling a QC at this location a few days ago, I met two representatives from USC who happened to drive by in their LEAF for a "field trip" just to take a look at this DC QC installation firsthand. I showed them how to use it and we discussed various issues, such as the slowdown in charge rate as the battery approaches 80% charge - they didn't seem familiar with this before. I also emphasized the need for clear signage and firm restricted parking access policies.

They told me that USC will soon be getting two DC QC units. The first will be installed just outside the USC bookstore on campus and should be up before the end of the year. The second will be at SC's UPX parking garage east of the 110 fwy, at 35th and Grand Ave.; it should be installed and operational in January. The latter is for permit and paid parking currently, so what the access policy will be for the QC is not yet clear, but the bookstore location should be readily accessible to all. More good news for L.A. QC users.

Back