Quick Charge L3 in LA, San Bernardino, Riverside Counties

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope the isn't too premature, but we've got one more DC Quick Charger coming to Orange County. This one is going to be at Cal State Fullerton, next to the campus Starbucks. It will be installed in a spot marked with EV Only signage and also with 30 minute parking signage (thus avoiding the need for a campus parking permit). ETA is around Christmas of this year. More details when I have them.

mwalsh said:
Hope the isn't too premature, but we've got one more DC Quick Charger coming to Orange County. This one is going to be at Cal State Fullerton, next to the campus Starbucks. It will be installed in a spot marked with EV Only signage and also with 30 minute parking signage (thus avoiding the need for a campus parking permit). ETA is around Christmas of this year. More details when I have them.

Dang, my last excuse for not visiting the in-laws in Anaheim will soon be null and void! ;)

You might want to check other threads here that say the San Bernardino QC is now gone. At least pack a sleeping bag. A good L2 is Metro Nissan in Redlands, very courteous and helpful.

September 2012 report. QC projects for the Southland are listed starting on page 12 of the document (labeled number 4). The question is when can we expect them to be functional?
From CEC-600-2012-004-AD.pdf at http://www.energy.ca.gov/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Localized Health Impacts Report PON-11=602-Alternative Fuels Infrastructure
Fuel Category: EVSE: DC Fast Charger Demonstration (28 potential stations from 34
proposals)
• SCAQMD – Mission Hills, 10400 Sepulveda Blvd., Mission Hills
• SCAQMD– Norwalk, 12816 Studebaker Road, Norwalk
• SCAQMD – Pasadena, 320 W. Colorado Blvd., Pasadena
• SCAQMD – San Clement, 903 EL Camino Real, San Clemente
• SCAQMD – Glendora,655 S. Grand Avenue, Glendora
• SCAQMD –Santa Monica, 1644 Cloverfield Avenue, Santa Monica
• SCAQMD – Sherman Oaks, 14049 Ventura Blvd., Sherman Oaks
• SCAQMD – Upland, 1910 N. Campus Avenue, Upland,
• SCAQMD – West Covina, 2630 E. Workman Avenue, West Covina
• SCAQMD – Carson, 619 E. University Drive, Carson
• SCAQMD – Cerritos, 13321 South Street, Cerritos
• SCAQMD – Garden Grove, 13220 Harbor Blvd., Garden Grove
• SCAQMD – Irvine, 6601 Quail Hill Parkway, Irvine
• SCAQMD – Long Beach, 1930 N. Lakewood Blvd., Long Beach
• SCAQMD – Los Angeles, 2520 Glendale Blvd., Los Angeles
• SCAQMD – Los Angeles, 2600 S. Vermont Blvd., Los Angeles
• SCAQMD – Los Angeles, 3443 S. Sepulveda Blvd., Los Angeles
• Alternative Energy Systems Consulting, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla
• Green Charge Networks, LLC –Pomona, 3111 West Temple Avenue, Pomona
• Green Charge Networks, LLC –Los Angeles, 3450 Overland Avenue, Los Angeles
• Green Charge Networks, LLC –Van Nuys, 7858 Van Nuys Blvd., Van Nuys
• Green Charge Networks, LLC – Irvine, 8693 Irvine Center Dr., Irvine
• Green Charge Networks, LLC – Seal Beach, 5075 Westminster Blvd., Seal Beach
• Green Charge Networks, LLC – Rosemead, 3366 North San Gabriel Blvd., Rosemead
• Green Charge Networks, LLC – San Diego, 2805 Garnet Avenue, San Diego
• Green Charge Networks, LLC – San Diego, 4080 Convoy St., San Diego
• Green Charge Networks, LLC – Moreno Valley, 23021 Sunnymead Blvd., Moreno
Valley
• Green Charge Networks, LLC – Fullerton, 1001 West Orangethorpe Avenue,
Fullerton
• Green Charge Networks, LLC – Del Mar, 13801 Mango Dr., Del Mar
• Green Charge Networks, LLC – Carlsbad, 901 Palomar Airport Rd., Carlsbad
• Green Charge Networks, LLC – Santa Ana, 2217 East 17th Street, Santa Ana
• Green Charge Networks, LLC – Los Angeles, 5536 East Washington Blvd., Los
Angeles
• Green Charge Networks, LLC – Thousand Oaks, 609 Rancho Conejo Blvd.,
Thousand Oaks
• Green Charge Networks, LLC – Norwalk, 11461 Firestone Blvd., Norwalk

91040 said:
September 2012 report. QC projects for the Southland are listed starting on page 12 of the document (labeled number 4). The question is when can we expect them to be functional?
Nice!

Here's all the locations in google maps:
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204311144905899465874.0004cd883c47686cd1037&msa=0&ll=33.600894,-117.902527&spn=2.157166,3.218994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When entering them, I found that the SCAQMD were either at Ralphs or Albertsons stores and the Green Charge Networks stations were nearly all at 7-11s. Good places to put a QC since your typical stop here is around 30 minutes.

drees said:
91040 said:
Nice!

Here's all the locations in google maps:
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204311144905899465874.0004cd883c47686cd1037&msa=0&ll=33.600894,-117.902527&spn=2.157166,3.218994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When entering them, I found that the SCAQMD were either at Ralphs or Albertsons stores and the Green Charge Networks stations were nearly all at 7-11s. Good places to put a QC since your typical stop here is around 30 minutes.

I know that the four 7-11 store units are funded in San Diego county.

These locations will give us access to the San Fernando Valley and points south to San Diego! Although our Leaf still has 12 capacity bars, getting back up the hill from the QC on Devonshire near the 405 may require staying off the freeway and a short stop at the Kohls L2 in Valencia for us to get home. We're looking forward to more info on the installation timelines and costs.

mwalsh said:
Any news on this? I'm planning a trip to Fullerton next week and would like to use it if it happens to be operational. I searched around on the Web for news and didn't find any; that probably means not operational yet, but doesn't hurt to ask.

jackncoke said:
Any news on this? I'm planning a trip to Fullerton next week and would like to use it if it happens to be operational. I searched around on the Web for news and didn't find any; that probably means not operational yet, but doesn't hurt to ask.

Been on my list this week to email and get a status update...just haven't gotten to it yet. Will make sure I do so when I get to the office this morning.

Looks like a drive from LA to San Diego on QC only is finally possible with the addition of a new Blink QC station in Escondido. I might try it one day when I feel adventurous enough :)

Valdemar said:
Looks like a drive from LA to San Diego on QC only is finally possible with the addition of a new Blink QC station in Escondido. I might try it one day when I feel adventurous enough :)

The charger in San Juan Capistrano that has been operating for months is actually between San Diego and LA. Escondido... eh, not so much.

If you're referring to Riverside and San Bernadino counties, sure, Escondido is great.

TonyWilliams said:
Valdemar said:

The charger in San Juan Capistrano that has been operating for months is actually between San Diego and LA. Escondido... eh, not so much.

If you're referring to Riverside and San Bernadino counties, sure, Escondido is great.

I guess you're right, the difference is that you don't have to charge to 100% in SJC with the only ~10 mile penalty for the detour through Escondido, you may end up saving time for yourself or the next one in the queue waiting for QC, or at least arrive with higher SOC in SD when going south.

Good news on the proposed Quick Charger at CSU Fullerton - the campus and Nissan have reached a purchase agreement on a Nissan branded unit and Doug Kind has been able to overcome the objections he'd encountered from the other departments. So things are once again moving forward.

In addition, Doug has been able to convince his counterparts at CSU Northridge, CSU San Bernardino and CSU Dominguez Hills that pursuing same for their campuses would be a very good idea! :D

Do you know how/if they are going to collect payments with the Nissan branded units? I didn't think they came with point of sale hardware...

The only fly in the ointment is that, at least at Northridge, you have to pay a not insignificant fee to enter any of the parking lots or structures unless you have a parking sticker...

mwalsh said:
In addition, Doug has been able to convince his counterparts at CSU Northridge, CSU San Bernardino and CSU Dominguez Hills that pursuing same for their campuses would be a very good idea! :D

TomT said:
The only fly in the ointment is that, at least at Northridge, you have to pay a not insignificant fee to enter any of the parking lots or structures unless you have a parking sticker...

I was given to understand the one at CSUF was going to be installed in the service parking area near the campus Starbucks. This would put it outside of a parking structure. It would be signed for EV Charging Only and exempt from a parking permit requirement (while charging). I can only assume that similar recommendations are being made for the other campus locations. Or at least that would be the smart course of action.

Was at Glendale Nissan today and they are getting a quick charge station. The concrete looked freshly poured. Picture coming in a bit.

JeremyW said:
Was at Glendale Nissan today and they are getting a quick charge station. The concrete looked freshly poured. Picture coming in a bit.

Awesome - that'll be a great place to charge if I'm low and need to get up the 2 freeway to home. :)

TonyWilliams said:
Valdemar said:

Where is the SJC DC charger?

Back