Quick Charge L3 in LA, San Bernardino, Riverside Counties

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cdub said:
TonyWilliams said:
Valdemar said:
Looks like a drive from LA to San Diego on QC only is finally possible with the addition of a new Blink QC station in Escondido. I might try it one day when I feel adventurous enough :)

The charger in San Juan Capistrano that has been operating for months is actually between San Diego and LA. Escondido... eh, not so much.

If you're referring to Riverside and San Bernadino counties, sure, Escondido is great.

Where is the SJC DC charger?

Residence Inn hotel on the east wall
33711 Camino Capistrano, SJC

http://www.plugshare.com/widget.html?latitude=33.4724862189494" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; &longitude=-117.66523949917523&zoom=14"; align="center" width="1000" height="900" scrolling="Auto"

Fontana Nissan's QC is coming soon! See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7253&start=70#p280861" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Went to North Bay Nissan to check out that QC thingy. Make sure my on-board port actually works...

It's a Blink machine and requires a card. The dealership used Ron's card (the Leaf man there) and off we went starting the thing up. HUGE box it was right out of Gotham. Sounded like micro hydroelectric dam. Got about 2 bars in 5-8 minutes while buyng touch up paint. We set it for 60% and upon return the machine already shut off. Learned how to plug (easy) and unplug (tricky) the thing. It's all fun after you learned it. It's not exactly self-explanatory and I had to intervene when the kid helping me started yanking on the plug too hard to get it out.

So the question is...how much would it cost me if it was my card? Does anyone know?
And also, do all Nissan dealers use Blink QCs, requiring Blink card?

Azusa Power and Light quick charger (blink) looks totally powered down. No light on any of the three screens,switch on the power unit is on. Bummer. :( Could have used the charge...

JeremyW said:
Azusa Power and Light quick charger (blink) looks totally powered.

These disgusting Blink products that can't even operate for a few consecutive days infuriate me.

Thanks for updating, I was hoping to use it tonight but now I'll just have to cancel plans.

Apparently the Blink QC in Escondido has been down for
quite a while, and, according to PlugShare, was still down
3 days ago.

Apparently the QC at the Carson dealer location is often,
usually, or sometimes blocked. PlugShare did not have any
reports of successful use. Otherwise, this is a great location.

A QC in Oceanside and another near Del Mar (or other I-5
freeway-convenient location), would open up Orange County
to San Diego trips.

One off the 15 near Poway would help traffic on that route.

Yes, these will be great, once they are routinely available.
But, broken, blocked, unavailable, etc. they are...
not very helpful.

Sad about Azusa Blink DCQC offline.

Knock on wood, but up time for AQMD Blink DCQC in Diamond Bar has been fairly good, although it has been down multiple times. Having it behind a gate with guard taking your name seems wise.

It is one thing if you occasionally have to wait for someone else to finish charging ahead of you, and quite another to arrive and find the unit down. We need separate statistics for these two cases, with the down time very close to zero %.

mwalsh said:
Good news on the proposed Quick Charger at CSU Fullerton - the campus and Nissan have reached a purchase agreement on a Nissan branded unit and Doug Kind has been able to overcome the objections he'd encountered from the other departments. So things are once again moving forward.

In addition, Doug has been able to convince his counterparts at CSU Northridge, CSU San Bernardino and CSU Dominguez Hills that pursuing same for their campuses would be a very good idea! :D
So ... does this mean that the Fullerton location will be up in running in say ... only one more year?
;)

garygid said:
Apparently the Blink QC in Escondido has been down for
quite a while, and, according to PlugShare, was still down
3 days ago.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . snip . . . .
I'm batting only 250 when I try 'em. One more time & I'm writing 'em off. 30 minutes on the phone with their (no) help line, and that's just 30 minutes I coulda been accross the street charging L2 @ the Nissan dealership
pffft

garygid said:
Apparently the QC at the Carson dealer location is often,
usually, or sometimes blocked. PlugShare did not have any
reports of successful use. Otherwise, this is a great location.

>>>>>>
Yes, these will be great, once they are routinely available.
But, broken, blocked, unavailable, etc. they are...
not very helpful.
Plugshare is now reporting successful QC charges at Carson on 4-8 and 4-11. As I posted elsewhere, my experience from Ontario Nissan is that they will promptly move the blocking cars when you ask. Unlike other places, they have the keys. If it is a customer's vehicle, they can figure out whose car it is. I am beginning to rely on dealership charging more for this reason.

hill said:
I'm batting only 250 when I try 'em. One more time & I'm writing 'em off. 30 minutes on the phone with their (no) help line, and that's just 30 minutes I coulda been accross the street charging L2 @ the Nissan dealership
pffft

I agree Blink QC reliability looks very poor, but lets give the Nissan/Sumitomo units a little more time to prove their worth.

Used Blink QC on Mateo in downtown LA this afternoon. Easy access, 2 Leafs on the L2 Blinks and a Tesla S came up and plugged in L2 before we left.
My problem: the Blink card I had used successfully at Ikea last year wouldn't activate the units - as if either the RFID scanner or my card were on the blink (sorry :roll: ). Had to charge as "Guest", which meant scanning a QR and entering my credit card and email on my cell to get a Code, even though the fee was $0.00 for this site. Probably took 10 minutes to get a 12-min charge started.
Have read concerns about Blink reliability, but not about the cards/readers before.

EricH said:
Used Blink QC on Mateo in downtown LA this afternoon. Easy access, 2 Leafs on the L2 Blinks and a Tesla S came up and plugged in L2 before we left.
My problem: the Blink card I had used successfully at Ikea last year wouldn't activate the units - as if either the RFID scanner or my card were on the blink (sorry :roll: ). Had to charge as "Guest", which meant scanning a QR and entering my credit card and email on my cell to get a Code, even though the fee was $0.00 for this site. Probably took 10 minutes to get a 12-min charge started.
Have read concerns about Blink reliability, but not about the cards/readers before.

Which side did you use? I was there a couple of times and only could get my Blink card read successfully on the left terminal. I saw similar comments on plugshare.

hill said:
garygid said:
Apparently the Blink QC in Escondido has been down for quite a while, and, according to PlugShare, was still down 3 days ago.
pffft
pssst hill - you're mixing up the Blink QC in Escondido (which has never really been online except for a short period when it was installed) with the Fuji/EVoasis in San Juan Capistrano.

FWIW - I'm batting 100% on Blink QC. :p

Valdemar said:
EricH said:

Which side did you use? I was there a couple of times and only could get my Blink card read successfully on the left terminal. I saw similar comments on plugshare.
I tried both sides - first the right, then the left. Used "Guest" code on right side, but had the QC to myself.

KeiJidosha said:
...the city of Thousand Oaks has approved a Blink QC install at the Thousand Oaks Transportation Center. Excellent access to/from Hwy 101 and convenient location for those headed to/from Ventura and Santa Barbara. supposed to be operating in next 60 days.
From the official Thousand Oaks Public Works Staff Report (Jan. 22, 2013):

[my bolding below]

"Installation will consist of a charging unit and a DC transformer adjacent to the TOTC's administration building. The proposed charging station will result in the loss of one parking space for the general public, but will be striped and signed as an electric vehicle parking space.

The installation and maintenance of the proposed DCFC, including the cost of electricity and internet access, are fully covered through the five-year License Agreement and combined grant funding from ECOtality and the APCD.

The City will incur no on-going costs related to the installation or operation of the DCFC.....All service and maintenance of the DCFC will be provided by ECOtality for a five-year term, after which time the City can continue to operate or remove the unit.

Users of the charging stations will pay $1 per hour for charging their vehicles.

Use of existing charging stations at the Transportation Center (and at City Hall) is at no cost of the public."

Does this mean what it sounds like it means?

asharpleaf said:
I used the QC at McDomalds in Riverside last Wed and Fri of last week and everything worked as normal.
Any word what the fee will be once it's posted?
EDIT: Woops ... never mind

Back