Revision 2 upgrade for Nissan EVSE - Allows full level 2!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LEAFer said:
Parts list ? Links to purchase from ? Thanks :)

I search eBay, here is the ammeter he used:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Analog-AMP-Current-Panel-Meter-AC-30A-Ammeter-85L1-A-/300591812002?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fcab0da2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This looks similar to the 0-300 AC voltmeter used:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fine-Adjustable-Dial-Panel-Voltmeter-85L1-V-AC-0-300V-/160633201181?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25667c221dor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; perhaps this one:

mitch672 said:
LEAFer said:
Parts list ? Links to purchase from ? Thanks :)

I search eBay, here is the ammeter he used:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Analog-AMP-Current-Panel-Meter-AC-30A-Ammeter-85L1-A-/300591812002?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fcab0da2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This looks similar to the 0-300 AC voltmeter used:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fine-Adjustable-Dial-Panel-Voltmeter-85L1-V-AC-0-300V-/160633201181?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25667c221dor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; perhaps this one:
You got it. Those Chinese meters are available from several Hong Kong based sellers, and somehow they manage to ship them to US addresses for $7, meter, shipping and all. You of course need a 0 - 300 volt AC meter and the 0 - 20 amp AC meter is the one I wanted, but they sent me an email saying that they got a bad batch from the mfgr and so I said a 30 amp one would be OK. Maybe at some point I'll try ordering a 20 amp one again; at $7 the meters are basically disposable!

DaveinOlyWA said:
That is how meters work. What were u expecting?
I wasn't expecting much in the beginning. But then when he said "nothing much to the circuit", it peaked my curiosity a little bit because the mention of a "circuit" implies that there may be some kind of electrical component(s) as well, although I know "circuit" can just be the wiring only, too. So just trying to confirm that it's just the wiring and nothing else, as evident when the inside of the box was shown.

When I heard "circuit", I thought that maybe he had some kind of fuse in there that may blow up in case the voltmeter shorts up by itself, or maybe some kind of diode that closes up in case the ammeter opens up by itself, to allow the normal operation to continue while plugged in.

Here is my upgraded EVESE "installed" and ready to charge.

EVSE.jpg

DaveinOlyWA said:
its a pretty easy DIY job. wiring is simple. i had to undo wiring to change plug to L-20 anyway...

got the meter at place in FL http://www.hialeahmeter.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

click on "meters" then remanufactured meters and i got the "ez read"

http://www.hialeahmeter.com/siphwame.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

was (and still is ) $17.50 and you will need a mounting plate with it that costs $10.50. the rest is shipping.

but works pretty good for me. i am up to 380 kwh read thru the meter and best part. total cost was about $50 and that includes conduit, wiring (and a few parts i bought but did not need but they were only a few bucks and did not want to make a 2nd trip to hardware store)
I took your suggestion and did the L6-20 outlet and meter as a DIY project:
l620outletandmeter0286s.jpg

evseoutletandmeter0288s.jpg

Works fine, as you can see. Now all I need is a Leaf to plug in.

dgpcolorado said:

Looks good, dgpcolorado! How do you have the Panasonic evse but no Leaf yet? Unless you bought a new Rev one from Phil?

Volusiano said:
Looks good, dgpcolorado! How do you have the Panasonic evse but no Leaf yet? Unless you bought a new Rev one from Phil?
Yes, I bought a new one from Phil to use at home so that I wouldn't always have to bundle it up to carry in the car for opportunity charging. I can take it down and carry it if I think I will need 240V opportunity charging — at an RV park, for example — but I expect that to be uncommon. Charge stations don't exist in my area, so making do with portable EVSEs will be important here.

I originally considered just charging with 120V at home, since time isn't an issue. But my understanding is that one has to have 240V to be able to preheat, so a higher wattage charge capability was important. It also means that I can charge during the middle of the day when the sun is shining, to use my solar electricity directly.

dgpcolorado said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
its a pretty easy DIY job. wiring is simple. i had to undo wiring to change plug to L-20 anyway...

got the meter at place in FL http://www.hialeahmeter.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

click on "meters" then remanufactured meters and i got the "ez read"

http://www.hialeahmeter.com/siphwame.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

was (and still is ) $17.50 and you will need a mounting plate with it that costs $10.50. the rest is shipping.

but works pretty good for me. i am up to 380 kwh read thru the meter and best part. total cost was about $50 and that includes conduit, wiring (and a few parts i bought but did not need but they were only a few bucks and did not want to make a 2nd trip to hardware store)
I took your suggestion and did the L6-20 outlet and meter as a DIY project:
l620outletandmeter0286s.jpg

looks good!! here is mine after a few months of operation. as you can see, up to 640 Kw.

race you to 1000!!
2011-09-20_06-02-21_987.jpg

DaveinOlyWA said:
looks good!! here is mine after a few months of operation. as you can see, up to 640 Kw.

race you to 1000!!
No way I can ever overcome your head start! I expect to be in the 5000 miles a year range anyway, although reading posts here at MNL suggests that one's usage tends to expand beyond what was expected, due to not having to pay for gas and driving electric being fun. And I still have to figure out how to get the Leaf home from Oregon when it arrives. Plan A seems to be a bust and I'm looking at Plans B & C.

dgpcolorado said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

race you to 1000!!
No way I can ever overcome your head start! I expect to be in the 5000 miles a year range anyway, although reading posts here at MNL suggests that one's usage tends to expand beyond what was expected, due to not having to pay for gas and driving electric being fun. And I still have to figure out how to get the Leaf home from Oregon when it arrives. Plan A seems to be a bust and I'm looking at Plans B & C.

other than range, the Leaf is really a no compromise driving experience. its not a $50,000 sports car by any means, but its not an econo box either.

before the Leaf we had two Priuses and a Zenn. the Zenn did around 4,000 miles a year and the Priuses did 7,000 and 12,000 respectively. got rid of the Zenn in Dec (when i thought i would be getting the Leaf) and then went to about 11,000 and 12,000 on the Priuses.

but now with the Leaf, nearly all of our family trips are in the Leaf having only had a half dozen trips that required the Prius' range so ya, the Leaf will probably be driven more than expected and your regular gas car less as range anxiety fades away.

dgpcolorado said:
And I still have to figure out how to get the Leaf home from Oregon when it arrives. Plan A seems to be a bust and I'm looking at Plans B & C.
This probably warrants its own thread, and you probably are already set, but I do know that on ebay motors they have a system in place to get quotes from several different auto shipping companies. It might be worth checking that out.

Volusiano said:
How do you have the Panasonic evse but no Leaf yet?
I have a Panasonic EVSE but no LEAF. I simply ordered the EVSE at the spare parts counter at my Nissan dealer; they were happy to order it for me, and in about a week I had an EVSE, which I then sent to Phil to upgrade. Even though the Nissan dealers here in PA won't be taking LEAF orders until the end of the year, Nissan apparently doesn't mind letting them sell spare parts for the LEAF now. My joke was that my dealer could order my LEAF as spare parts and put it together in their shop. :)

I used the modified EVSE so I could plug the Hertz rental LEAF into my dryer outlet a while back when I brought it to my house for a couple days. It worked great!

tps said:
I simply ordered the EVSE at the spare parts counter at my Nissan dealer
I don't know what you paid at the dealer, but it might be a better deal to pick up the EVSE from parts.com or similar for anyone else who might want to do this. When I got my extra unit it was about $500 after shipping.

fooljoe said:
tps said:
I don't know what you paid at the dealer, but it might be a better deal to pick up the EVSE from parts.com or similar for anyone else who might want to do this. When I got my extra unit it was about $500 after shipping.
Or even just from Phil directly although a smidge more even after you add in the cost of mailing it to him at basically $550.

QueenBee said:
fooljoe said:
tps said:
Or even just from Phil directly although a smidge more even after you add in the cost of mailing it to him at basically $550.
Yeah, unfortunately we don't get them any cheaper than you can. You'd think Nissan would sell to us wholesale! :D

-Phil

Back