Revision 2 upgrade for Nissan EVSE - Allows full level 2!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's on a SD card in the slot behind the Nav screen. I'd not hold my breath for updates though as the database is already some 5 years or more out of date.

TEG said:
Does anyone know if/when Nissan will offer an update to get newer maps installed? Could it come on a flash card? Is there a hard disk inside the "head unit" that stores the maps?
(Sorry, we seem to have gone off topic here.)

Love my modded EVSE, but because it lives outside I am looking for a cabinet to put it and maybe it's cable inside when not in use.

Short of building my own (should be like a birdhouse, no) has anyone found something off the shelf? Pondered mailboxes, telcom cabinets...

darthracing said:
Love my modded EVSE, but because it lives outside I am looking for a cabinet to put it and maybe it's cable inside when not in use.

Short of building my own (should be like a birdhouse, no) has anyone found something off the shelf? Pondered mailboxes, telcom cabinets...

Just get a large NEMA plastic box from LOWES or an electrical place, they are inexpensive and you can drill holes where you want.

dgpcolorado said:
I've been traveling and my previous post was a bit abbreviated. The Nissan rep I was speaking with wasn't a temp. He was involved in bringing the dealers in my state up to speed to become "Leaf Certified". [This turned out to be a very big deal for me because I learned from him that the Nissan dealer in Durango is going to be Leaf certified and Durango should be Leaf distance from where I live, despite three mountain passes. He said it is also possible that the dealer in Grand Junction will decide to become Leaf certified, in part because Nissan is coming out with a plug-in hybrid version of the Altima (IIRC) and an Infiniti car, so charge stations and electric service will be needed for them. For me, this means that I won't have to tow my Leaf to Denver for service, as I had been expecting.]

However, I was so astonished at his assertions regarding EVSE Upgrade being considered as a possible cause for battery problems in the Texas cars that I didn't call him on the BS. I did express my skepticism that the EVSE used had anything to do with the charger or battery problems. He claimed that the cord for the Panasonic EVSE wasn't designed for the current in the upgraded version and that it gets very hot. In retrospect I wish I had pointed out that if he knew anything about electricity he would realize that how it reaches the charger is irrelevant, so long as the handshake is performed ok and the charger functions. But I was taken by surprise and don't handle such things well; a resilient debater I am not.

What Phil says above about Europe using 240V, and the likelihood that a similar Panasonic unit would be supplied with the cars, did occur to me shortly afterward. I thought about going back to point out how ridiculous his assertions were, but decided not to. My impression was that he had been given orders from on-high to discourage use of the Upgraded EVSEs, for whatever reason (I can think of several).

FWIW.

Please tell me one reason for not using a modified EVSE. The unit does not get too hot and the wire is rated for far above the current drawn and it's temp rating limit would not be hit until 36A. The person you spoke to was just making up nonsense or is confused. Since you clearly understand that supplying the rated power to the car in no way has any impact on the pack then why did you even bother posting this nonsense? Why confuse more people? What next, using a different brand extension cord on a table lamp will shorten the bulb life? I would not doubt that a pack in Texas could overheat from the temps there but NO EVSE would have any role in this, it is on or off and it's that simple.

EVDRIVER said:
... Since you clearly understand that supplying the rated power to the car in no way has any impact on the pack then why did you even bother posting this nonsense? Why confuse more people? ...
If Nissan is the one spreading the nonsense, I think it better that this forum face it head on instead of putting our heads in the sand.

BTW, there still a little sand behind your ear...

davewill said:
EVDRIVER said:
... Since you clearly understand that supplying the rated power to the car in no way has any impact on the pack then why did you even bother posting this nonsense? Why confuse more people? ...
If Nissan is the one spreading the nonsense, I think it better that this forum face it head on instead of putting our heads in the sand.

BTW, there still a little sand behind your ear...

Nissan is not spreading it, temps and poorly informed Nissan employees are, without the knowledge of Nissan corporate likely. There is so much ignorance about the technical aspects of EVs out there.

EVDRIVER said:
davewill said:
EVDRIVER said:
If Nissan is the one spreading the nonsense, I think it better that this forum face it head on instead of putting our heads in the sand. ...
Nissan is not spreading it, temps and poorly informed Nissan employees are, without the knowledge of Nissan corporate likely. ...
Sounds like a difference that makes no difference to me. He's a Nissan employee directly involved in the LEAF program. Whether he's making his own error or spouting official nonsense, we need to know.

If a TSB is released about it, then we will know what is true and what isn't. If the bulletin is released and it says what the OP said, I feel for those using the EVSE upgrade.

Then I guess we need to know about 100 other BS things the Nissan people at these events have said. Clearly there are people on this forum that thrive on perpetuating FUD. I would also like to see Nissan address the large doses of EMF traveling through the seats :lol: :lol: :lol: Ignorance is bliss.

As several people have already indicated, there is no technical reason why using the EVSE upgrade would affect the car negatively. It is a professionally engineered safe solution. Nissan is in the business to sell cars, and the availability of our product is making the LEAF available to more people that may not otherwise have a viable charging solution they can afford. I seriously doubt Nissan will officially issue any claims condemning the use of our product or any other aftermarket EVSE, as this would impact sales. They have been aware of the upgrade for a long time now, and have even their own engineers from Japan have inspected and used it. In addition, we have a significant portion of LEAF owners using our product every day, and yet NOT ONE report of anything bad happening or any problems with their cars.

One rogue employee (if even true) spouting nonsense does not make official corporate policy.

There is a reason hearsay is not admitable evidence in our legal system, this definitely qualifies!

-Phil

LEAFfan said:
If a TSB is released about it, then we will know what is true and what isn't. If the bulletin is released and it says what the OP said, I feel for those using the EVSE upgrade.

No, it means someone wrote a TSB that is not accurate. The fact is that no matter what type of EVSE you have, no matter what type of EV you have, an EVSE can only supply voltage or not, it has no impact on the pack, it does not regulate charging or anything to do with the pack at all, it supplies power (on or off) to the charger which does ALL the charge regulation to the pack. You could solder 240 volts to the car and give it a pilot signal to be on for ever and it could do the car or the pack no harm, EVER. Any person that hints that this is try has no understanding of an EVSE, an EV charger, or electronics and is either ignorant, misinformed or has an agenda. Most likely, these are the same people that think an EVSE IS a charger!

EVDRIVER said:
LEAFfan said:

No, it means someone wrote a TSB that is not accurate. The fact is that no matter what type of EVSE you have, no matter what type of EV you have, an EVSE can only supply voltage or not, it has no impact on the pack, it does not regulate charging or anything to do with the pack at all, it supplies power (on or off) to the charger which does ALL the charge regulation to the pack. You could solder 240 volts to the car and give it a pilot signal to be on for ever and it could do the car or the pack no harm, EVER. Any person that hints that this is try has no understanding of an EVSE, an EV charger, or electronics and is either ignorant, misinformed or has an agenda. Most likely, these are the same people that think an EVSE IS a charger!

Ok bh, you don't need to rant at me. I already know all that as well as most of the rest of us. It makes NO difference what is fact or not. If Nissan says it will void the battery warranty and puts out a TSB to that effect, then that's the way it will be whether it really will affect the pack or not, which we all know it won't.

LEAFfan said:
EVDRIVER said:
LEAFfan said:

Ok bh, you don't need to rant at me. I already know all that as well as most of the rest of us. It makes NO difference what is fact or not. If Nissan says it will void the battery warranty and puts out a TSB to that effect, then that's the way it will be whether it really will affect the pack or not, which we all know it won't.

Not ranting at you. Nissan can't void the battery warranty for the use of any EVSE, modified or not. It would never happen and that's been proven over and over with the MM Act passed by congress.

LEAFfan said:
EVDRIVER said:
LEAFfan said:

Then as soon as they attempt to void a warranty, I'll be in court with the Magnuson-Moss warranty act backing me up, and get it disproved. Nissan will have to change it's policies. Their lawyers are well aware of this and they will never try this. It would also be extremely bad PR on their part. If rumors got out that they were refusing warranty coverage on the battery packs FOR ANY REASON it would scare a lot of buyers off!

Speculation at this point is stupid and a waste of time. If Nissan does indeed do something, then we deal with it. Until then this exercise is pointless.

-Phil

That cord looks familiar-

http://www.calcars.org/photos-people.html#MB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can anyone say (maybe Phil (Ingineer)) whether this upgrade process will be available in Canada. And if so, whether the cost will be any different (considering our dollars are nearly equal at the moment)? I can see shipping may be a little more.

myev said:
Can anyone say (maybe Phil (Ingineer)) whether this upgrade process will be available in Canada. And if so, whether the cost will be any different (considering our dollars are nearly equal at the moment)? I can see shipping may be a little more.
Yes, we are shipping to Canada. I'll have to ask one of our customers what duty/tax he paid, but otherwise there seems to be no problem. The shipping cost seems to be around $60 depending on where you are.

-Phil

myev said:
Can anyone say (maybe Phil (Ingineer)) whether this upgrade process will be available in Canada...

Not a big market quite yet (apparently, only 40 LEAFs in Canada):
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/09/come-on-nissan-only-40-leaf-electric-cars-in-canada-2011.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TEG said:
Not a big market quite yet (apparently, only 40 LEAFs in Canada):
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/09/come-on-nissan-only-40-leaf-electric-cars-in-canada-2011.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There must be a good bit of interest there though, as we have fielded a lot of questions, and sold some units already.

-Phil

Back