Revision 2 upgrade for Nissan EVSE - Allows full level 2!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LEAFfan said:
If a TSB is released about it, then we will know what is true and what isn't. If the bulletin is released and it says what the OP said, I feel for those using the EVSE upgrade.
Thank you for your heart felt empathy - much appreciated. I know that I'M scared ... very very scared.
smiley-scared-03-ani.gif

:lol:

btw, my rev ii Ingineer mod should be at my door step tomorrow (Monday). That's what I get for shipping late Wednesday.

hill said:
LEAFfan said:
If a TSB is released about it, then we will know what is true and what isn't. If the bulletin is released and it says what the OP said, I feel for those using the EVSE upgrade.
Thank you for your heart felt empathy - much appreciated. I know that I'M scared ... very very scared.

There's a lot of IFs in there and I was being sincere. You needn't be scared....yet. I doubt if we will ever see that TSB.

LEAFfan said:
hill said:
LEAFfan said:

There's a lot of IFs in there and I was being sincere. You needn't be scared....yet. I doubt if we will ever see that TSB.
I think he is being sarcastic at all your attempts at FUD. EV's have a tough enough time being successful, please try refrain from adding more FUD!

-Phil

I have to says, that since I have had my ESVE upgade, REV 2, at that, my life with this LEAF has become very predictable, fully charged, and made ME a very happy consumer !! I plug in on my 240 20A L6 here at my clinic. This availability to charge at work MAKES this car. I can also turn on the A/C a half hour before I leave, and ALL is well with the upgrade. No PROBLMS. Thanks Ingineer for doing this. You have my support !!

Ingineer said:
EV's have a tough enough time being successful, please try refrain from adding more FUD!
-Phil

I don't call FUD being that a Nissan LEAF tech told someone there would be a TSB on mod charging. People need to know that this IS a possibility whether it harms the battery pack or not, which we all know it won't. But if Nissan puts one out, then that is fact that it will void the battery warranty. So stick to what is REALLY FUD from what is possible. If it were impossible, then it's FUD...ie. someone saying that the LEAF only has an 80 mile range @ 100%.

LEAFfan said:
Ingineer said:
EV's have a tough enough time being successful, please try refrain from adding more FUD!
-Phil

I don't call FUD being that a Nissan LEAF tech told someone there would be a TSA on mod charging. People need to know that this IS a possiblilty whether it harms the battery pack or not, which we all know it won't. But if Nissan puts one out, then that is fact that it will void the battery warranty. So stick to what is REALLY FUD from what is possible. If it were impossible, then it's FUD...ie. someone saying that the LEAF only has an 80 mile range @ 100%.

Yes it is FUD, just because some Nissan employee says something does not make it true, he could have made it all up or translated one issue into another and got it wrong, this is the usual rule with Nissan field employees and reps. Second, the TSB not TSA as you say in the "telephone" spirit of all this, well that is usual to do unless a problem is documented which it never would or could be because this BS battery issue impossible to occur as a result of any EVSE on the market today. They would not waste tech time on an issue they know can't happen! Nissan engineers know this and this would void the warranty on Euro Nissan LEAFs because the Nisan EURO EVSE units WORK THE SAME WAY!!! Lastly Nissan will NEVER be able to void a pack warranty from an EVSE. So for those that have a rudimentary understanding of electronics, common sense, marketing and the MM act, there is no doubt this is FUD. You are feeding it by making claims that you don't know will be fact but you state them as if they will be. Do you realize how nonsensical that appears?

This kind of discussion is frustrating and a stupid waste of bandwidth and is not only hearsay but utter BS, every single aspect of it.

EVDRIVER said:
LEAFfan said:
Ingineer said:
-Phil

I don't call FUD being that a Nissan LEAF tech told someone there would be a TSB on mod charging. People need to know that this IS a possibility whether it harms the battery pack or not, which we all know it won't. But if Nissan puts one out, then that is fact that it will void the battery warranty. So stick to what is REALLY FUD from what is possible. If it were impossible, then it's FUD...ie. someone saying that the LEAF only has an 80 mile range @ 100%.

Yes it is FUD, just because some Nissan employee says something does not make it true, he could have made it all up or translated one issue into another and got it wrong, this is the usual rule with Nissan field employees and reps. Second, the TSB not TSA as you say in the "telephone" spirit of all this, well that is usual to do unless a problem is documented which it never would or could be because this BS battery issue impossible to occur as a result of any EVSE on the market today. They would not waste tech time on an issue they know can't happen! Nissan engineers know this and this would void the warranty on Euro Nissan LEAFs because the Nisan EURO EVSE units WORK THE SAME WAY!!! Lastly Nissan will NEVER be able to void a pack warranty from an EVSE. So for those that have a rudimentary understanding of electronics, common sense, marketing and the MM act, there is no doubt this is FUD. You are feeding it by making claims that you don't know will be fact but you state them as if they will be. Do you realize how nonsensical that appears?

This wasn't some Nissan employee or staff member. It was a LEAF tech. And again, you miss my whole point, as usual. I'm not arguing with you at all about it not affecting the pak or anything else. You of all people should know Nissan by now and they can issue TSBs. That is their choice whether it makes sense or not. To say this is impossible is putting your head in the sand. It is NOT impossible. Anything that Nissan does maybe doesn't make much sense, but that isn't the point. The point is that THEY can and may do it whether it's right or not. So stop saying it's FUD when it isn't. FUD is something that can be disproved, but this hasn't been disproved as of yet. So please learn the definition of FUD.

LEAFfan said:
So stop saying it's FUD when it isn't. FUD is something that can be disproved, but this hasn't been disproved as of yet. So please learn the definition of FUD.
The definition of FUD by what I read is not just about facts that can be proven wrong. Some is purely hypothetical such as the possibility of some future outcome.

FUD definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt", read the definition...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fear, uncertainty and doubt, frequently abbreviated as FUD, is a tactic used in sales, marketing, public relations,[1][2] politics and propaganda. FUD is generally a strategic attempt to influence public perception by disseminating negative and dubious/false information designed to undermine the credibility of their beliefs. An individual firm, for example, might use FUD to invite unfavorable opinions and speculation about a competitor's product; to increase the general estimation of switching costs among current customers; or to maintain leverage over a current business partner who could potentially become a rival.

The term originated to describe disinformation tactics in the computer hardware industry and has since been used more broadly.[3] FUD is a manifestation of the appeal to fear.

LEAFfan said:
FUD is something that can be disproved, but this hasn't been disproved as of yet. So please learn the definition of FUD.

Not it is not...Fear Uncertainty and Doubt. Threatening that some paper might be published in the future certainly is about creating fear, and is definitely uncertain and as we can see there are lots of doubts about this.

Just because it came from a Nissan employee does not mean it is not FUD. This is a prime example of FUD. If there was a paper released then you can warn people all you want about not using non-AV EVSE, but until then it is just FUD!

palmermd said:
LEAFfan said:
FUD is something that can be disproved, but this hasn't been disproved as of yet. So please learn the definition of FUD.

Not it is not...Fear Uncertainty and Doubt. Threatening that some paper might be published in the future certainly is about creating fear, and is definitely uncertain and as we can see there are lots of doubts about this.

Just because it came from a Nissan employee does not mean it is not FUD. This is a prime example of FUD. If there was a paper released then you can warn people all you want about not using non-AV EVSE, but until then it is just FUD!

Exactly and it is FUD saying they can voice the warranty if they "say so" this is actually wrong as there is a law that specifically says so. TSBs are not used to void warranties they are there to help techs and such a TSB would only confuse a tech from the real cause of a battery issue. Most LEAF techs (not Japanese engineers) are completely cluless, not all but many. Some people here love to scare and confuse people.

Wow, I'm gona have to go back a few pages so I can remember the topic - before it tangented into fretting over stastically improbable possibilities. Yes ... we can not say with absolute perfect certainty that:
- A Tornado will never whip through a junk yard, that whips together a Rollex
- The sun will not set this evening
- A perposterous TSB will never be generated
- O.J. positively wasn't framed

Even so, who knew there'd ever be anyone who cared enough to caution others about such near imposibilities. Truthfully ... if I worried about the astronomically improbable, I'd have to start drinking ... drinking a LOT ... with the hopes of drowning that bug up my butt, that made me think about the virtually impossible nonsensicles like that. I'll gladly ship off a nice bottle of Royal Crown, if we can just never go down that road again.
:roll:

hill said:
I'll gladly ship off a nice bottle of Royal Crown, if we can just never go down that road again.
Is that Royal Crown (RC) Cola? Or, Crown Royal Canadian Whiskey?

Bill

hill said:
Wow, I'm gona have to go back a few pages so I can remember the topic - before it tangented into fretting over stastically improbable possibilities. Yes ... we can not say with absolute perfect certainty that:
- A Tornado will never whip through a junk yard, that whips together a Rollex
- The sun will not set this evening
- A perposterous TSB will never be generated
- O.J. positively wasn't framed

Even so, who knew there'd ever be anyone who cared enough to caution others about such near imposibilities. Truthfully ... if I worried about the astronomically improbable, I'd have to start drinking ... drinking a LOT ... with the hopes of drowning that bug up my butt, that made me think about the virtually impossible nonsensicles like that. I'll gladly ship off a nice bottle of Royal Crown, if we can just never go down that road again.
:roll:

No kidding.

I received my upgraded EVSE today, tested it out and it works great!

The turnaround time was quick. I mailed it in on 10/10 and received it back on 10/18. During that time, Boomer graciously lent me his L1. :)

I spent $307 at EvseUpgrade.com (rev2 upgrade and $20 shipping fee)
I spent $13 to ship the unit via UPS
I spent $10 on an L6-20R to 5-15P adapter from gary (required to plug in to regular outlet)
I spent $37.54 on a NEMA 14-30, 14-50 to L6-20 adapter from johnr (required for me - I have a 14-50 receptacle in my garage)
Total = $367.54 :D

Thank you all for providing this service, the parts, and the knowledge!

omkar said:
I received my upgraded EVSE today, tested it out and it works great!

The turnaround time was quick. I mailed it in on 10/10 and received it back on 10/18. During that time, Boomer graciously lent me his L1. :)

I spent $307 at EvseUpgrade.com (rev2 upgrade and $20 shipping fee)
I spent $13 to ship the unit via UPS
I spent $10 on an L6-20R to 5-15P adapter from gary (required to plug in to regular outlet)
I spent $37.54 on a NEMA 14-30, 14-50 to L6-20 adapter from johnr (required for me - I have a 14-50 receptacle in my garage)
Total = $367.54 :D

Thank you all for providing this service, the parts, and the knowledge!

It's nice to see people loaning their EVSE units to others, old skool EVSE spirit :D

All that being said, here is my experience,
As some of you may remember my Leaf had a charger failure May 14th of this year. During the diagnosis period there was much conjecture about possible causes and as you would expect Nissan was looking for it to be something other that the Leaf's fault. The whole episode culminated with a pair of Japanese engineers accompanied by a Nissan Technical Service Manager coming to my house to test my blink. The NTSM acted very concerned that I had used a Rev 1 modified EVSE. I assured them that I only used it AFTER the blink would no longer charge my car and the charger (diode) had already failed. He wanted to test it but I had sent it out for Rev 2 modification when my Leaf went to the dealer (they kept my Leaf 3 weeks before this meeting took place). So there was much concern that the modified EVSE was a contributing factor and I had to repeatedly state the timeline to make it very clear it was not in anyway related. I had another meeting with the same NTSM at Wilsonville Nissan 9/22 and he again asked me about the mini EVSE and the fact that I had been TIG welding that day. I assured him again, the car was being driven up in Washington at the time of failure and was not related to welding or the mini EVSE in anyway. He told me the engineers had not found a cause for the failure although they suspect a lightning strike was the cause of the one in Tennessee. No proof though.

My conclusion: They play their cards very close to the chest. The NTSM's mission is damage control and to be the translator. No matter what, they will not admit any liability on Nissan's part nor give out any technical info. They never once said outright that I should not use the Rev 2 EVSE or blamed it for the failure.

What these tour people may be circulating is all the rumor mill FUD churned up in the wake of my and 2 other Leaf's charger failures. Isn't it just like the internet, the good info gets buried under weight of FUD being circulated.

My $.02

ON EDIT: My rev 2 mini EVSE works perfectly.

bowthom said:
there was much concern that the modified EVSE was a contributing factor
I would think they'd worry less about the modified EVSE, since it is essentially much like the unmodified EVSE which Panasonic built to Nissan's specifications. My understanding is that Phil has made minimal changes and retained the original features, including the lack of diode check. Seems to me that, given the fact that the LEAF must interface to many existing and yet-to-be-designed EVSEs, its on-board charger should be robust enough to protect itself from a rogue EVSE, anyway. If it is not, then Nissan should be thanking you for uncovering the problem while there are only several thousand LEAFs in circulation, so they can fix it before it turns into a 100K recall.

tps said:
bowthom said:
there was much concern that the modified EVSE was a contributing factor
I would think they'd worry less about the modified EVSE, since it is essentially much like the unmodified EVSE which Panasonic built to Nissan's specifications. My understanding is that Phil has made minimal changes and retained the original features, including the lack of diode check. Seems to me that, given the fact that the LEAF must interface to many existing and yet-to-be-designed EVSEs, its on-board charger should be robust enough to protect itself from a rogue EVSE, anyway. If it is not, then Nissan should be thanking you for uncovering the problem while there are only several thousand LEAFs in circulation, so they can fix it before it turns into a 100K recall.
very wise.

Back