SPX 32A L2 Plug-In, All-Voltage EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N952JL said:
SAE J1772, State A (unplugged not charging).......................7.6 Watts max
SAE J1772, State C (plugged in charging).............................10.3 Watts max

Our product operates from 95-265 Volts….so the answer is input voltage dependent. The values above are for input power at 240Volts.

This doesn't make sense to me. If State A is "unplugged" then how can it draw anything? Shouldn't State A be "Plugged in and not charging"

I just do not understand how something that is not plugged in can have a electrical draw.

makes perfect sense, if the car is "away", the unit will be plugged in, disconnected, there is still power being drawn by the low voltage power supply to power the electronics (1Khz signal generator and sensing circuitry) and LEDs.

the other state most likey for an EVSE to be in in plugged in and charging. those are the 2 most common conditions.

the difference in power being drawn between those 2 states is the current the relay is consuming to keep it closed...

davewill said:
N952JL said:
This doesn't make sense to me. If State A is "unplugged" then how can it draw anything? Shouldn't State A be "Plugged in and not charging"

I just do not understand how something that is not plugged in can have a electrical draw.
They mean that the J1772 plug isn't plugged into a car. They just assume you know that unplugging the EVSE from the wall results in zero draw. :geek:

Correct davewill ;) There are two LEDs: POWER and STATUS.

StateA: Power ON Status OFF
StateC: Power ON Status ON (blinking)

smkettner said:
7 watts continuous seems like a lot.

How does this compare to other EVSEs?

Phil has stated his EVSE Mod (Rev1/Rev2) is .0133 amps, which equates to a little over 3 watts @ 240V. I don't know if that covers both LEDs or just one however. Without Phil's LED mod, it would have been around 8 watts.

I ordered a unit on the 15th, the CS person said it normally takes a couple of days to process the order. I got a call a couple of days later inquiring about my participation in their Volt installation program. They were very nice about just wanting the express EVSE and not being a Volt owner and they said shipment could take a couple of weeks depending on current demand. An order confirmation email I then got said shipment was due on the 26th. An email invoice I got on the 22nd said shipment had occured on the 18th via best ground and my credit card was charged. It arrived yesterday afternoon, the 23rd. Now to see how reliable it is.

I ordered the Power Express about 10 days ago and I was aware it could take some time to be shipped.

However, the card was billed on Friday and since then, I have been trying to get a tracking # from SPX with no luck, or at least a delivery date, so I can be sure someone can receive the package.

I think that, regardless of doing a good job when it comes to product, their sales and customer service departments are extremely incompetent. Nobody knows anything, not how it was shipped or when, they can see the same information I wave on my sales receipt and nothing more (which, by the way, arrived by snail-mail on monday after having received the same receipt in my email a week before that).

Somebody should offer them training in e-commerce...

I ordered mine today. Linda said they are "built-to-order" so can take up to 60 days, but I expect it far sooner. I asked about the 25' cord and she said that isn't something they offer. It is 18' for everyone.

amtoro said:
I think that, regardless of doing a good job when it comes to product, their sales and customer service departments are extremely incompetent. Nobody knows anything, not how it was shipped or when, they can see the same information

Does this company usually sells directly to the public or to dealers/installers?

z0ner said:
I've got it configured for 16A (#2 setting) and I'm using a 14# molded pigtail to L6-20 until my molded 12# comes in.

z0ner, Where are you getting your L6-20R pigtail? Is this just something you buy at Home Depot?

I wired a L6-20 wall socket to my garage to use my upgraded Nissan EVSE, but would like to plug my SPX unit in there so I can keep my portable unit in the car.

garygid, Got the L6-20 pigtail ordered. $24.20 with shipping/handling from StayOnline.com. Sucks that shipping is nearly the same cost as the $13 unit, but oh well.

garygid said:
8-foot L6-20P to 12/3 wire end, 20A, $13:
http://www.stayonline.com/nema-20-amp-locking-plug-208v.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

reeler, Gary is a regular Nostadamus. That is the exact pigtail I bought for this. Make sure that you get the ROJ connector, of course.

A popular interpretation of the Mayan calendar ending in Dec, 2012 is "The End of the World".

Actually, it is more likely that the Mayans were aware of a certain document that was in the Library of Alexandria before it burned down: (translated) "A Lease of the Blue Planet".

No, it is not yet known what the "owners" will do with "our Earth" when the Lease expires next year. Apparently most of the Mayans vacated a bit early.

Perhaps the "owners" did not really own the planet, and have already been found, and punished, for their "Lease-a-Planet" scam.

Would you like to lease some land on "the" moon, ... or buy a prime section on the planet you call Mars? :D

Well... I called SPX again today after being promised to receive a call back when they figured out if my EVSE had been shipped or not...

And again, I was told that it appears as being shipped on the 19th but nobody has a tracking number (really?) so, they will call the carrier and try to find out where it is, if it is at all somewhere, and call me back. (I'm not banking on it, though)

I expected better organization from a 100 years old company.

Back