SPX 32A L2 Plug-In, All-Voltage EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
davewill said:
MTNRanger said:
If I buy the SPX powerXpress and install it with the 32A settings and 40A breakers, NEMA 6-50 outlet. Can you move the dip switch to the 16A position with the heavier gauge wire/breaker/receptacle and work with the Leaf? Or do I have to install it with the 16A settings and 20A breakers?
You could, but you can also simply leave it set to the 32A setting. The LEAF will happily use 16A of the 32A available, plus when your Tesla owning friend comes to visit, he can charge at 32A. ;) All of the AV and Blink EVSEs that people have (and the public Chargepoints, etc...) are all capable of 30A charging and there's no need to "turn them down" for the LEAF. You can even plug your LEAF into a 72A Tesla charging station if it's been converted to J1772.

Thanks!

However--and I think this is what he was asking--you could "dial down" to the 16A setting and use it on a LOWER power outlet/breaker (like 20A). That way (for example) you could use a 6-20 plug and smaller gauge wire. If you never "upgrade" your Leaf, you'll never need the higher power settings.

My SPX unit arrived on Thursday, it was 17 days from order placed(Jul 1) to order shipped(Jul 18). Shipped from Highland Heights Ohio if that means anything. Ill post pictures after I get it wired up to a 14-50p and mounted. I will be testing it at 120v first since I don't think anyone else has done this.

pii100 said:
My SPX unit arrived on Thursday, it was 17 days from order placed(Jul 1) to order shipped(Jul 18). Shipped from Highland Heights Ohio if that means anything. Ill post pictures after I get it wired up to a 14-50p and mounted. I will be testing it at 120v first since I don't think anyone else has done this.
What length cable did you order?

Okay, called again today, shipping is 5-7 days from order placement, so that's much more reasonable.

Is anyone using an SPX (PowerExpress is what they call the model) with their actual Leaf yet? I've seen that people have ordered and are planning to install, but haven't read where anyone is using it to actually charge yet.

Installed and tested charging at 120v and 240v today. Both worked perfectly.

A few notes about the unit:

I really like how they designed the strain relief to work with a wide variety of cable sizes.

The wiring block chamber cover uses SQ2(Square) screws.

img20110725213900.jpg

img20110725211639.jpg

Curious as to why the Leviton EVSE thread gets a sticky yet the arguable superior SPX unit which is cheaper gets lost on the second page (although I have now "bumped" it). At the quoted price of $749 I believe this is THE best deal for a new EVSE. An "upgraded" Panasonic unit is cheaper but if one wants a second EVSE, the SPX unit is cheaper than any other unit out there. :?:

Thanks for the testing on the spx !
I am thinking I will install this on my exterior garage wall .
this will be where I will park my car outside most days and will be my primary home evse

do you think I should get one with a plug and have a weatherproof 6-30r outlet installed
or by the hard wire unit?

guessing the only differnce is the plug in unit comes with the pigtail plug assembly and the hardwire unit does not

is that correct?
guessing also no led flashlight built into the handle like on the voltec unit

we should all complain nicely to spx to add that feature to this unit

On how the LEAF "likes" the SPX?

240V@16A, just like every other L2 EVSE. Of course the SPX is user selectable up to 32A, but as discussed in this thread the LEAF's charger will only request 240V@16A.

z0ner said:

240V@16A, just like every other L2 EVSE. Of course the SPX is user selectable up to 32A, but as discussed in this thread the LEAF's charger will only request 240V@16A.

I think he was asking, as I did once before, if anyone is actually using an SPX with an actual LEAF yet. I don't recall a post from anyone with both.

PhatBoyG said:
z0ner said:

I think he was asking, as I did once before, if anyone is actually using an SPX with an actual LEAF yet. I don't recall a post from anyone with both.

Mine awaited me as I came back from a weekend trip, so I'll report back in the next day or so. There is a bit of labor involved for a perfect mount, and I'm not going to initially use the supplied NEMA 6-30P #10 wire, but I don't think there will be any issues. Just a basic semi-portable L2 EVSE that does its job.

z0ner said:
On how the LEAF "likes" the SPX?...240V@16A, just like every other L2 EVSE. Of course the SPX is user selectable up to 32A, but as discussed in this thread the LEAF's charger will only request 240V@16A.
Just pick a nit, using J1772, the car doesn't "request" anything. The EVSE advertises how much current can be drawn from that source, and the car simply draws whatever current it needs up to that limit. The only thing the car communicates is whether it wants the circuit energized or not.

davewill said:
z0ner said:
On how the LEAF "likes" the SPX?...240V@16A, just like every other L2 EVSE. Of course the SPX is user selectable up to 32A, but as discussed in this thread the LEAF's charger will only request 240V@16A.
Just pick a nit, using J1772, the car doesn't "request" anything. The EVSE advertises how much current can be drawn from that source, and the car simply draws whatever current it needs up to that limit. The only thing the car communicates is whether it wants the circuit energized or not.

Yes, but the LEAF charger can only use a max of 3.3kW regardless, right?

z0ner said:
It's interesting to watch what happens at the start of charge. Initially, the LEAF doesn't draw anything. Then it smoothly ramps the current up to just less than 16A. It's fairly quick, only takes a few seconds, but it's not a "step function" such as turning on a switch...

z0ner said:
The LEAF draws more like 3.84kW, but essentially yes. I was just pointing out that the LEAF is the one doing all the limiting. Whether it tops out at 16a, or lower if the EVSE can't supply that much, the car doesn't have to tell the EVSE to do anything but turn on.

One week using the unit now with no issues. Sadly no flashlight, it would be a worthwhile upgrade. I don't think anyone ever figured out how Phil added one to his Panasonic unit. Maybe one day he will get time and clue the rest of us that aren't EE's in to how he did it.

Back