SPX 32A L2 Plug-In, All-Voltage EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately, mere hours after posting my wife called to say the car would not charge. I am in the middle of the RMA process with SPX and will post more details soon.

pii100 said:
Unfortunately, mere hours after posting my wife called to say the car would not charge. I am in the middle of the RMA process with SPX and will post more details soon.
We need more details. Did you verify it was defective?

garygid said:
So, do these SPX EVSEs work well, or not?
They better work, I just ordered one. Was told there's up to a 60 day lead time for delivery but that they're generally getting them out much sooner than that. I sure hope so, since using the supplied 120V unit is getting old (removing the unit and extension cord from the 'trunk', unwinding both, hoping no one steals it overnight, then coiling it all up in the morning and packing them back behind the rear seat).

Also, the hard wired option is not available unless it's for a Volt. Unfortunately, mine would be visible from the street so I'll probably clamp it to the house.

When I ordered my SPX unit in the first week of July they told me that it would be 60 days prior to delivery. About two weeks later I called and asked if they were still planning on that long of a delay and the sales folks said yes, the delay was still the same. Three days later I received a UPS box with my SPX charger. Apparently the shipping and sales folks aren't talking to each other. Installed it in the last week of July and all is well....

philaphonic said:
...Also, the hard wired option is not available unless it's for a Volt. Unfortunately, mine would be visible from the street so I'll probably clamp it to the house.
Go back a few pages and check the pictures. The plugin pigtail comes unattached; you have to wire it in, anyway. So hard wiring it would be dead simple.

Edit: Someone posted pics of one hard wired: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3290&p=118394#p118394

Yes I verified with them it was defective. My problem is power light lit solid green and no status light. The status light will flicker orange briefly when power is first applied, then go out. I tried shutting off the breaker and using the master reset button to no avail while they were on the phone. We also verified voltage and ground to the device. I do get nice high voltage(250vac 5% over) from my utility and there is suspicion on their end this may be the cause of the failure. I also overheard there is at least one other unit they have seen with this failure. I have hit a few minor snags and delays along the RMA process and will post them once the process is finished.

Philaphonic the unit is designed to be hard wired in several ways(top, side, and rear entry for line side wiring) so you should have no trouble permanantly mounting it outside. I think what you meant was the Voltec unit is only available for volt owners.

"Investigated" means removing the 10 Phillips screws and pulling hard enough to separate the two halves from the waterproof seal to the point of having to reseal. Not for me. I have a call into support and I'll update the thread once I get an answer.

I hooked it up for the first time yesterday (sans mount) and so far I'm impressed. I configured it for 16A and I'm using a molded L6-20 plug (12#) that goes into a dedicated L6-20 receptacle. Not as clean as direct from the breaker, but now both my SPX and Rev1 Mod EVSE can use the same outlet without an adapter.

There is no rubber cover for the J1772 end, but it certainly isn't a deal-breaker. It also doesn't come with a cable shelf. I bought a simple one at Home Depot that screws into a stud.

What more can I say? It charges, it works.

After receiving the SPX Power Express unit last month I was pleased that the unit was packaged with two manuals for the unit. The manuals are the SPX installation manual and a maintenance manual. After I installed the unit I called SPX and ask if they have these manual in a .PDF format. They passed my request on to someone in the technical side of the house but it's now been a week and no reply....I now suspect that I won't be getting any response.

It would be great if others that are considering purchasing the SPX unit, PLEASE ask them to provide you with this PDF documentation so you can evaluate your potential purchase of the unit. If anyone gets this info please let us all know so we can have this documentation for future use.

Cheers,

Corey Ferguson

Please, some reports from SPX users on how these EVSEs are being used, their vampire load (on 120v, and on 240v), amount of heating (thermal rise) of the cords and "breadbox", etc.
Thanks, Gary

I've been using mine for two weeks on a nightly basis without issue. I've got it configured for 16A (#2 setting) and I'm using a 14# molded pigtail to L6-20 until my molded 12# comes in. The plug end is 8#. I'm not breaking the weather seal to find out the parasitic draw but I'm trying to get the answer from engineering.

z0ner said:
I've been using mine for two weeks on a nightly basis without issue. I've got it configured for 16A (#2 setting) and I'm using a 14# molded pigtail to L6-20 until my molded 12# comes in. The plug end is 8#. I'm not breaking the weather seal to find out the parasitic draw but I'm trying to get the answer from engineering.

Now that's good info! If I go the SPX route, I plan on using it the same way: 16A w/L6-20 plug/pigtail.

Why set it for 16A as appose to the full 32? The Leaf will only draw what it wants which would be around the 16 until the newer 6.6 chargers come out in the MY2013. I am in GA and just put in my order. Was thinking of using the SPX as my EVSE vice the Blink.

N952JL said:
Why set it for 16A as appose to the full 32? The Leaf will only draw what it wants which would be around the 16 until the newer 6.6 chargers come out in the MY2013. I am in GA and just put in my order. Was thinking of using the SPX as my EVSE vice the Blink.

As z0ner said, thats the beauty of the SPX, you can have it "match" your existing wiring and breaker size, as opposed to being FORCED to upgrade to comply with electrical code. Sure, you can put the 40A Breaker on it, and set it for 32A in a "green space" install (nothing existing), but if you have a 20A dryer circuit availble (for example), you can utilize it for now, and when the 6.6KW chargers become availble, upgrade your wiring and breaker, and be all set for it, by just changing the selector switch, your EVSE is already designed to handle it :)

Here is an update on my RMA and a few notes about the process. My RMA unit arrived this morning and I will be installing it this evening.

SPX seems to be having some growing pains associated with these chargers:
Customer support agents are not familiar with the RAM process(I was given mixed answers to whether the replacement unit would be shipped first or if i would have to return the defective unit).
Technical support was unfamiliar with the unit when I called. (The rep had to print out the manual and speak to the supervisor several times)
The RAM process is very slow with almost no information on how long it will take to complete. (Almost two weeks from tech support opening the RMA to the unit arriving)
SPX is still not providing Shipping/tracking information. This may be acceptable when dealing with a bushiness customer that is open and able to receive packages but not when dealing with consumers. If an old lady selling teapot cozies on Ebay can get me a tracking number then I expect SPX can also.

Overall the process is very rough and I expect they will get the issues ironed out over time and as more of these units are delivered. Everyone I spoke to was very pleasant and understanding I just expect the process to be much smother considering the size of the company and the time it took to launch the product.

Although it took awhile, the Product Manager finally got back to me regarding the parasitic load.

SAE J1772, State A (unplugged not charging).......................7.6 Watts max
SAE J1772, State C (plugged in charging).............................10.3 Watts max

Our product operates from 95-265 Volts….so the answer is input voltage dependent. The values above are for input power at 240Volts.
I also advised that SPX monitor this thread and participate when appropriate, as it would lend to great customer relations and give them a leg-up on their competition.

I've been using this every night going on the 4th week now without so much as a hiccup. I'm very happy with it.

SAE J1772, State A (unplugged not charging).......................7.6 Watts max
SAE J1772, State C (plugged in charging).............................10.3 Watts max

Our product operates from 95-265 Volts….so the answer is input voltage dependent. The values above are for input power at 240Volts.

This doesn't make sense to me. If State A is "unplugged" then how can it draw anything? Shouldn't State A be "Plugged in and not charging"

I just do not understand how something that is not plugged in can have a electrical draw.

N952JL said:
This doesn't make sense to me. If State A is "unplugged" then how can it draw anything? Shouldn't State A be "Plugged in and not charging"

I just do not understand how something that is not plugged in can have a electrical draw.
They mean that the J1772 plug isn't plugged into a car. They just assume you know that unplugging the EVSE from the wall results in zero draw. :geek:

Back