The official "I actually have a new EVSE installed" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LTLFTcomposite said:
smkettner said:
How do you know there is not a J-box behind the wall with conduit attached?
Or Romex to a J-box and the sheathing is just pealed off?

If they do, then that's another violation... you aren't allowed to "bury" a junction box behind drywall.

Wow Lance is in trouble again... check out his AV install. I'm tellin'!
335391015009741710279614113748779573996392597368n.jpg

If you're running romex behind drywall, you typically need to leave the drywall off for the inspector to inspect the romex before (re)finishing the wall, too...

We can't see behind that wall, but there is a set of double
doors, so there is likely a closet behind that space, it could even be the electrical closet for the house, it may have conduit/EMT right up to the back of the EVSE, inside the closet.

Hard to tell without more pictures of the other side of that wall

drees said:
If you're running romex behind drywall, you typically need to leave the drywall off for the inspector to inspect the romex before (re)finishing the wall, too...

As always, local requirements would vary, but from my admittedly limited experience you can pass inspection on an old work/remodel job without the wiring in the walls being visible. Sure, there's nothing to say you aren't getting away with a flying splice in a wall, but it also isn't reasonable to ask someone to tear their house apart just to add an outlet.

There's nothing necessarily wrong with Lance's installation... they probably fished romex through the wall from above and attached it to the back of the evse with a strain relief. Or for all we know that whole thing is staged and the EVSE in that picture isn't even connected. If you have a pretty garage like Lance's, or the one in the Nissan video, it may be worth the effort and expense to keep everything concealed. If you have a garage like that one in an earlier post (or like mine) that looks like hell anyway it isn't worth the trouble or expense. What is totally outrageous though is charging somebody $2k to screw the thing to the wall and connect it to a service panel 6 feet away with $25 worth of materials.

EVDRIVER said:
Here is the new location for either a modified L1 Leaf EVSE to L2 240 or a Leviton unit. This line also has a dedicated MTU for the TED 5000. No EVSE yet but thought the pick my be helpful for those considering a plug in.

EVDRIVER, I'm going to order a TED. Can you please confirm my choice of TED unit? I have one solar inverter, one power panel and I want to monitor the kWh going to my circuit for the future EVSE. So I'm thinking that the TED 5003 series, with three MTUs will work perfectly. Even though TED intends the MTUs to measure power coming FROM various sources, an MTU can also be used to measure power going TO a specific load, such as an EVSE, correct?

Thanks!

Boomer23 said:
EVDRIVER said:
Here is the new location for either a modified L1 Leaf EVSE to L2 240 or a Leviton unit. This line also has a dedicated MTU for the TED 5000. No EVSE yet but thought the pick my be helpful for those considering a plug in.

EVDRIVER, I'm going to order a TED. Can you please confirm my choice of TED unit? I have one solar inverter, one power panel and I want to monitor the kWh going to my circuit for the future EVSE. So I'm thinking that the TED 5003 series, with three MTUs will work perfectly. Even though TED intends the MTUs to measure power coming FROM various sources, an MTU can also be used to measure power going TO a specific load, such as an EVSE, correct?

Thanks!

Boomer...

The CT's on the TED will measure power going either to or from a source. They're directional, so if you install them one way, they count up. Turn them around 180 degrees and they count down. 3 CT's should work fine for what you want to do. I have 2 right now, 1 for main and 1 for my solar. I will get a third for my EVSE when it's installed.

My website has a live link to my TED, but I'm sure you've already seen their displays. Check it out of you haven't seen the live screens on-line.

Boomer23 said:
EVDRIVER said:

Thanks!

Yes, you have it right. How many amps is your main panel? I have 3 MTUs and use my computer to monitor. The forum they have is helpful or you can call them. Update the software when you get it.

Cool, thanks EVDRIVER and Jimmydreams.

EVDRIVER, my main panel is currently 100 Amps, but I'm going to have it upgraded, probably to 200 Amps.

I'll probably splurge on the unit with the handheld display as well as the computer connection, so I can watch my kWh go up and down over my breakfast cereal. :lol:

@Boomer23, I have two TED MTUs. One set monitors my solar and the other my house.
Two issues: The TED network device aka "Gateway", is highly susceptible to noise from other digital devices like computers, DVRs or even CFL bulbs. So, in my older home I had a problem finding an outlet that was reliable as well as accessible by 10-baseT to my router.
Also, my panel did not have accessible incoming conductors. That is, from the meter to the panel there was a direct connection via bussbar, not say 000, wire. Thus, there was no way to wrap the MTU connectors around the bussbar to get an input current reading. I ended up separating the wires coming out of the circuit breakers according to which 240V leg they were on and encircling each group with the MTU connectors. Once these two things were done, the TED worked perfectly and has ever since. Also, Google Powermeter has been a nice addition.
Good luck!

sparky said:
@Boomer23, I have two TED MTUs. One set monitors my solar and the other my house.
Two issues: The TED network device aka "Gateway", is highly susceptible to noise from other digital devices like computers, DVRs or even CFL bulbs. So, in my older home I had a problem finding an outlet that was reliable as well as accessible by 10-baseT to my router.
Also, my panel did not have accessible incoming conductors. That is, from the meter to the panel there was a direct connection via bussbar, not say 000, wire. Thus, there was no way to wrap the MTU connectors around the bussbar to get an input current reading. I ended up separating the wires coming out of the circuit breakers according to which 240V leg they were on and encircling each group with the MTU connectors. Once these two things were done, the TED worked perfectly and has ever since. Also, Google Powermeter has been a nice addition.
Good luck!

Thanks for the caution, Sparky. I have lots of CFL bulbs and two DVRs. I'll get the TED before I have my main panel upgrade, so I'll get the electrician to install the MTUs so that they work.

mwalsh said:
smkettner said:
Can someone post a screen shot from the video on how Nissan demonstrates how it will look? See also the surface mount wiring bracket at about 1:22 in the video.

Yeah! For $2200 that's what I want....right there:

evse.jpg

evse2.jpg

This is exactly how my EVSE was installed in my garage. No visible conduit anyplace, all wiring was done through the walls. Cost was the same $2400 ($2200 + sales tax) as everybody else got.

mwalsh said:
My guys are here to put in the new service panel. They're going to put in the 240v circuit for just $100 extra. :D I guess that puts me firmly in the "cash and carry" camp or the "wait for other options" camp.

Who's your contractor? I'm in HB and looking to have my panel upgraded too.

Thanks.

richard said:
mwalsh said:
My guys are here to put in the new service panel. They're going to put in the 240v circuit for just $100 extra. :D I guess that puts me firmly in the "cash and carry" camp or the "wait for other options" camp.

Who's your contractor? I'm in HB and looking to have my panel upgraded too.

Thanks.

Richard, I recommend getting a price quote from my electrician. He's going to do mine for a really good price:

Jason Wakefield Electric
714-883-5064

Back