What I've found about the car so far

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gudy said:
On the minus side :
- the side rearview mirrors (or whatever they are called, but the ones on the left and right of the car), are actually fairly small ... I'm being more careful (especially at night), when changing lanes than before. clearly not a deal braker though, and I'm sure I'll get used to it. And I'm sure the reason they're so small is aerodynamics.

I saw the mirrors on the Phoenix guy's production car tonight. I'm hoping the smaller size will reduce the air noise. The mirrors are actually a plus if you know how to use them correctly. I posted on here a long time ago what an expert driver's ed. instructor said to do so you eliminate ALL the blind spots. I followed his advice a long time ago and I can always see if a car is beside me without turning my head, which is unsafe. Lean your head against your rolled up window and adjust your driver's side mirror outward until you can see down the side of the car, like most people do when sitting upright. Then, for the passenger side mirror, move it outward until you can see clearly the lane next to you. You can always test them on the highway for correct positioning or tweaking, but I guarantee you, it works great!

gudy said:
Over the first 2 days, I believe that my average mileage was 3.1 miles / kWh (ie, 74 miles range). As I've said earlier, the car is really fun to drive, and I'm driving it that way. I'm no hyper-miler, on the contrary.
Maybe the EPA had your driving style in mind when they came out with 73 mile range rating...

gudy said:
Now that I've found the button to reset the daily distance meter, I'll start measuring miles driven and approx state of charge at the end of the day. (there are 12 bars). Over the first 2 days, I believe that my average mileage was 3.1 miles / kWh (ie, 74 miles range). As I've said earlier, the car is really fun to drive, and I'm driving it that way. I'm no hyper-miler, on the contrary.
Does carwings website give you that data ?

12 bars isn't too bad - gives you 2 kwh precision.

gudy said:
Now that I've found the button to reset the daily distance meter, I'll start measuring miles driven and approx state of charge at the end of the day. (there are 12 bars). Over the first 2 days, I believe that my average mileage was 3.1 miles

Don't forget that you need to reset the average mpkWh display each trip too. Otherwise your averages will be skewed.

tps said:
gudy said:
Over the first 2 days, I believe that my average mileage was 3.1 miles / kWh (ie, 74 miles range). As I've said earlier, the car is really fun to drive, and I'm driving it that way. I'm no hyper-miler, on the contrary.
Maybe the EPA had your driving style in mind when they came out with 73 mile range rating...

That style of driving only confirms how exagerated was the low range of 75 miles that EPA defined.

Maybe we should consider this types:

1. Non Hypermilers Driving style (step on it kind of drivers) - 75 miles of range;

2. Normal Driving (regular day by day kind of driving) - 95 miles;

3. Hypermilers (Guiness book of longest range in the LEAF) - 140 miles :).

I have a 75 mile RT with no guaranteed charging at work. Most is (usually fast) freeway, with about a mile of city streets at each end, and some hills, with occasional stiff winds. Using the A/C is often a "must", almost always "desired" in a closed car, but the "need" heating is rare.

So, with a new battery it seems doable, though not entirely sure what driving "style" will be required to get me back home on rainy days. One will have to trade off a lower speed (less safe) cs. safety on freeway.

With an 80% battery, or a 60% capacity, ... "no way" to make the RT. So, I will need to charge at work, or dependably use a QC station near work.

But, by the time the capacity is down, there should be more QCs available.

Yesterday evening, I cam home from SFO, no traffic, I was at 74 mph for 14 miles.
then 2 miles at 25-40 mph in the city, with a few lights.
Charged to 100%, and this morning the car is telling me 83 miles (or 79 with climate control on).
You're almost using twice as much power to overcome wind drag between 55 and 75 mph ( 1.86 times more), so I can clearly see how 75 mph reduces range quite a bit.

Presumably the 83 (not 100) is taking into account past driving "style" e-fuel usage (miles per kWh, or mpe).

Unknown how long the "past" goes back, but probably something the last few minutes (when driving).

Perhaps the "initial" range (displayed right after charging) considers the entire last-charge usage rate. (pb' = the "lead-foot" factor)

can you comment on the heaters performance? ( not sure how much you need it there)
how long from turning it on to feeling warm air?

and also, turn on the front windshield defrost on high and temp set to high, Like you are clearing ice from the windscreen and tell us the power consumption that the climate control readout gives you in KW

thank you!

gudy said:
Yesterday evening, I cam home from SFO, no traffic, I was at 74 mph for 14 miles.
Charged to 100%, and this morning the car is telling me 83 miles (or 79 with climate control on).
You're almost using twice as much power to overcome wind drag between 55 and 75 mph ( 1.86 times more), so I can clearly see how 75 mph reduces range quite a bit.

Am I the only one confused about this comment? Why is the car giving you an estimate based on previous day trip?

IBELEAF said:
gudy said:
Am I the only one confused about this comment? Why is the car giving you an estimate based on previous day trip?
No, I'm also confused. Even if Gary's correct about it taking into account "recent" driving style, is it expected behavior that it would remember from a previous drive? I wouldn't think so.

Audi has also had them for at least two years.

IBELEAF said:
Jimmydreams said:
Gudy....

How are the headlights at night? These being the first production LED headlights, how do they compare to regular beams and xenon beams (if you have experience with xenons)???

Thanks for all the early reporting!!!

These are not first production LED headlights, 2010 Prius already has them

http://priuschat.com/news/the-2010-prius-standard-vs-led-headlights

StrangerTides said:
Even if Gary's correct about it taking into account "recent" driving style, is it expected behavior that it would remember from a previous drive? I wouldn't think so.
Absolutely. I do expect the car to remember my style etc - but it is perhaps too sensitive to recent trips. Range estimate will have to evolve ...

BTW, does that also mean Leaf will travel 83 miles if driven at 75 mph ? That looks good ...

But I've to say until we can start getting kwh consumed with every trip, we are not going to get a handle on the range. The range estimate will not help us too much here ...

IBELEAF said:

We came to the conclusion that it "remembers" how you drive.

The only question still in the back of my mind is if you can "redeem yourself" and make it again believe you're worthy of full range.

mwalsh said:
The only question still in the back of my mind is if you can "redeem yourself" and make it again believe you're worthy of full range.
I guess that's a function of how long it remembers. There is likely some algorithm that calculates the range estimate based on the past X sample periods (I think I read that it updates every 5 seconds?)

If X is too small, then the range estimate will change too much too often to be useful. If X is too large, you'll have a tough time redeeming yourself for having too much fun (but at least it would likely be conservative!) Some weighted average of the data points may help give more recent data more influence but certainly it will remember something.
=Smidge=

gudy said:

A bit of a tangent but do you have any feel yet for the efficiency of the charging process? (ie what your
electric meter thinks was used vs. what the EVSE thinks it put in vs. what the car actually got, in terms
of KwH). Or, to put it another way, do you plan to monitor metered consumption vs. mileage
to get an actual miles/KwH purchased figure?

Do you have speed limits at 70-75 in CA or is that normal driving? In WA I don't have to worry about that because our main speed limit is 60 with only couple of areas with 70 and I only get there when I go on long trips.

IBELEAF said:
Do you have speed limits at 70-75 in CA or is that normal driving? In WA we don't have to worry about that because our main speed limit is 60 with one road being 70 which Leaf will never get too.

70 MPH is the max limit in CA on Interstate highways outside of major metro areas. The reality in CA is that the only time anyone does under 70 is when a cop is around or the there is a traffic jam. I typically do 75 and I'm getting passed.

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/speed_limits.htm

Back