Will you hold off for rumored 2014 LEAF?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EricBayArea said:
I didn't know where to put this and I didn't want to start a whole new thread, but this showed up in Car and Driver the other day with the title of:

2014 Infiniti Electric Vehicle Spy Photos

This clearly looks like a LEAF and not an Infiniti. Looks like they made the eyes bigger and gave it wheels from a Nissan Maxima.
I remember during Kadota-san's Q&A at Nissan Engineering Team Visit December 3rd, He eluded that “We would see more of the LEAF’s protruding headlights”. Could this be it? For aerodynamics?

KeiJidosha said:
EricBayArea said:
I didn't know where to put this and I didn't want to start a whole new thread, but this showed up in Car and Driver the other day with the title of:

2014 Infiniti Electric Vehicle Spy Photos

This clearly looks like a LEAF and not an Infiniti. Looks like they made the eyes bigger and gave it wheels from a Nissan Maxima.
I remember during Kadota-san's Q&A at Nissan Engineering Team Visit December 3rd, He eluded that “We would see more of the LEAF’s protruding headlights”. Could this be it? For aerodynamics?
I think he mean't the leaf's headlight definition on other Nissans.

This mules "pop up" headlights pretty much tell us that the Infiniti EV will NOT have headlights as deep or in the same position relative to the motor package. A powertrain mule means that what's under the hood is getting pretty close to the dimensions of what it will likely be and that everything else just needs to get out of the way for now. Manufacturers will wrap a mule in something (anything) suitable as a body. This cars wheelbase/track looks stock so its not a chassis mule but just a powertrain testbed. This is pretty on target for a car thats about 18 months away from orders being taken.

I hope the next Leaf doesn't have bulging lights. Please Nissan, please. The Nissan z has nice headlights, sexy, sporty. Let's use them or one of the concept designs for the Infinity EV's as they have nice lights as well.

I hope this odd pic means that they are ridding the Leaf of the bulging headlights and that they don't want us to know yet so they put the old headlights ontop to hide the new design.

If they smoothed out the headlights and flattened the rear bumber like on the Leaf Nismo concept, the Leaf is a cute and sporty car. It just needs those cosmetic adjustments to look Hot.

TRONZ said:
A powertrain mule means that what's under the hood is getting pretty close to the dimensions of what it will likely be and that everything else just needs to get out of the way for now. Manufacturers will wrap a mule in something (anything) suitable as a body. This cars wheelbase/track looks stock so its not a chassis mule but just a powertrain testbed. This is pretty on target for a car thats about 18 months away from orders being taken.
Exactly - this is very common to see on cars during drivetrain development. They very often look like Frankenstein mobiles!

That said - they didn't raise the headlights for no reason. They're definitely hiding something under the hood there.

I am surprised that the car isn't wearing more camo - very often these mules are wearing lots of black/white camo and heavy body cladding.

drees said:
I am surprised that the car isn't wearing more camo - very often these mules are wearing lots of black/white camo and heavy body cladding.

The "urban camo" is only used when trying to hide a new designs surface features. Why these also use flat finishs to minimize reflections and prevent character edge highlights. The fact that we are not seeing one of these camo cars yet is interesting. The LE may have more differences from the LEAF than some are thinking. Let's remember that Infiniti (USA) rejected the original design presented by Nissan for not being different enough from the LEAF and why this car is about 12 months behind the original 2013 release. I for one am glad it's appearing that the stock LEAF does not fit the Infinitis components. A very different second EV could be surfacing in NY soon.

I just recently cancelled my 2012 Leaf in order to wait for the 2013. The upgraded heater will be a great benefit for our climate here in the "frozen tundra" and the 6.6kv charger will also be a great asset.

I may regret that decision as I'm trying to keep a 21 year old Mazda pickup and a 20 year old Toyota Camry running long enough to acquire my coveted EV. It could have been as soon as June this year...

Tired of waiting in a tier X market, 4 I guess, we bought a quasi-orphan. The demo at Vacaville. Can it be orphaned if it never had parents? So that one is my wife's. I'm now chomping at the bit for my own EV. A Tennessee LEAF? I'd say probably, a 2014. could be something else competitive out by then? I'd say probably not. Plus I'd like to see Nissan rewarded for their pioneering. FWIW, our salesman claimed $5Billion put into the overall effort so far by Nissan. That makes the co$t of every LEAF to date about a quarter million. HA! Yes, I know there's a lot more to it than that, but under even the most wildly favorable accounting, so far they are indeed selling LEAFs at a big lo$$. Mike L.

KJWL said:
Tired of waiting in a tier X market, 4 I guess, we bought a quasi-orphan. The demo at Vacaville. Can it be orphaned if it never had parents? So that one is my wife's. I'm now chomping at the bit for my own EV. A Tennessee LEAF? I'd say probably, a 2014. could be something else competitive out by then? I'd say probably not. Plus I'd like to see Nissan rewarded for their pioneering. FWIW, our salesman claimed $5Billion put into the overall effort so far by Nissan. That makes the co$t of every LEAF to date about a quarter million. HA! Yes, I know there's a lot more to it than that, but under even the most wildly favorable accounting, so far they are indeed selling LEAFs at a big lo$$. Mike L.

ah a convert!! Welcome to our 12 step program for the "enhancement of EV addiction!"

Actually Nissan has spent (or borrowed) several Billion so $5B is about right. but the per vehicle cost might be high now but will drop for every car that rolls off the assembly line.

Nissan is probably selling Leafs in the US at a loss but not due to investment costs. its more due to the huge loss in value of the dollar against the yen last year which is still continuing. that was a big part of the reason they jumped prices for 2012 to help defray the cost and i suspect that is the reason why US sales are sluggish is because Nissan is not allocating that many cars to us.

keep in mind; the Leaf is sold in several different countries where the exchange rates are much more favorable. someone reported nearly 200 sold in Denmark or maybe Norway?? (a country in that area,) which is 40% of what was sold in the US in a country 1/10th the size.

so ya, costs are high and i fully expect (and hope) that reason will help the TN plant get online quicker so we can see some US Built Leafs in mid Fall instead of mid winter. could be less than 6 months away from that.

then i think we will see dealer incentives simply because they will have the room to negotiate

edatoakrun said:
The price may be lowered significantly only after the $7,500 Federal tax Credit is no longer available.
The only way the price will go down would be the plant in TN going on line. With the phony paper money we have, being printed in the trillions ... it's worth about a penny of its value from 50 years ago. The Japanese would be crazy to accept only $30K fake paper U.S. dollars for a Leaf.

It ultimately has to be converted back to Yen regardless for the parent in Japan... And a lot of the raw components will still need to be sourced from overseas as well...

My four year lease will be up near the 2015 model year and I expect that will be considerably more options open to me then...

hill said:
The only way the price will go down would be the plant in TN going on line. With the phony paper money we have, being printed in the trillions ... it's worth about a penny of its value from 50 years ago. The Japanese would be crazy to accept only $30K fake paper U.S. dollars for a Leaf.

Remember they have a loan they need to pay back. I b guessing no money will be converted for a while plus TN will be building cars for export

DaveinOlyWA said:
keep in mind; the Leaf is sold in several different countries where the exchange rates are much more favorable. someone reported nearly 200 sold in Denmark or maybe Norway?? (a country in that area,) which is 40% of what was sold in the US in a country 1/10th the size.

It was Norway and we only have 1/62 as many citizens as the US. Currently around 5 million, and Leaf sales seem steady at around 200/month.

jkirkebo said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

It was Norway and we only have 1/62 as many citizens as the US. Currently around 5 million, and Leaf sales seem steady at around 200/month.

1/62nd?? wow, thought you were a "little" bigger than that. either way, still very impressive #'s and a reflection of where the US "could" be if we were paying a higher price for gas like you guys do.

we need to jump up the federal gas tax 10 cents per gallon (has not been raised in 20 years or so) take 3 cents of that gas tax and use it to fund the EV infrastructure locally for that area. take another 3 cents to fund EV infrastructure in areas not really populated and then take 4 cents to repair our highways.

the EV instructure tax should only be needed a few years then it can be drastically reduced.

I'm not a "buy the latest thing" kinda car buyer . . . BUT . . . for a 6kW charger . . . I might just be breaking a long standing rule. I DO like me some quick charging . . . so . . . It'll turn on how many Q.C.'s are on line before I decide to go for REV II.

TomT said:
It ultimately has to be converted back to Yen regardless for the parent in Japan...
None issue. Most companies don't repatriate cash in unfavorable conditions. It's left where it's earned for future investment, until exchange and tax treatment is more favorable, or until it is really really needed. Some companies have barter agreements that allow it's use as well (will you pay me here for a hamburger there).

Back