ericbdavies

Re: Any Leafs delivered to Georgia yet?

Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:50 pm

Quick question for all fellow EV drivers in Atlanta (btw, thanks for the advice, I picked up my leaf a couple weeks ago and love it).

Is Walgreens no longer offering charging for free? We stopped by today and now it wants a card through the Sema Connect website - and the charging is $2.50/hr. it seems like it is now that way at all Walgreens chargers. Just want to make sure I'm reading this right. Has anyone else seen this?

os2baba
Delivery Date: 07 Jun 2013
Leaf Number: 404844

Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:00 pm

ericbdavies wrote:Quick question for all fellow EV drivers in Atlanta (btw, thanks for the advice, I picked up my leaf a couple weeks ago and love it).

Is Walgreens no longer offering charging for free? We stopped by today and now it wants a card through the Sema Connect website - and the charging is $2.50/hr. it seems like it is now that way at all Walgreens chargers. Just want to make sure I'm reading this right. Has anyone else seen this?
Wow! $2.50 an hour is steep and totally ridiculous! Given that an hour will probably give you about 20 miles or so, that's how much my ICE car gives per gallon which would almost be the cost of gas per gallon. And the newer ICE cars are giving 30+ miles a gallon. Which Walgreens is this? The one on Alpharetta Hwy was free the last time I checked (maybe a month ago).

ericbdavies

Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:11 pm

It is the one on Wade Green in Kennesaw. It was free seriously 10 days ago but today when my wife stopped by it required the swipe of a card. I looked up Sema Connect (the provider) online and that's where I got the $2.50/hr price. I still haven't confirmed that's what it is - I was planning on stopping by Walgreens and talking to them about it.

From what I saw at Sema Connect this was every Walgreens in Atlanta - but wasn't sure if anyone else had seen anything. I'll post again when I find out more.

cracovian

Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:21 am

In a way I'm glad they're no longer free which will make them available to those who really need them. However, $2.50 is a bit steep and, realistically, hardly anyone will use them. It will prevent all-night/day leeches though.

Again, with so many other free options in the metro and blinks @ $1/hour, these things will not see much use...
2012 LEAF SL - 72K miles (7 bars)
Reserved: 04/20/2010, Delivered: 11/11/11

10.80 kW AC solar array: LG and SunEdison panels on Enphase

bronsonb
Delivery Date: 23 Nov 2012
Leaf Number: 021512

Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:27 am

cracovian wrote:In a way I'm glad they're no longer free which will make them available to those who really need them. However, $2.50 is a bit steep and, realistically, hardly anyone will use them. It will prevent all-night/day leeches though.
You've got a great point. If something is given away for free, a good many folks will take advantage of that. $2.50 an hour is VERY steep though. I can charge my car at home for six hours for less than that on my Blink. I can see them needing to charge a bit above what the electricity costs to maintain the charger and the network, but $2.50 seems a bit steep. I take it that it's based solely on time and NOT on how much electricity you actually use. So a new Leaf with the faster charging port would be able to take better advantage of this versus an older Leaf.

I bet they see a drop in usage. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Bronson B
Marietta, GA

ericbdavies

Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:37 am

Agreed with all points above. To be clear - I haven't confirmed that is the price but it is what is listed on Sema Connect website. I went into Walgreens to ask them but they didn't know anything.

I think $1/hr is a very fair price so I have a blink card. That's about twice as much as the going georgia rate (5kw over an hour - or $.20/kwh) and is more than fair. But $2.50 is a little too much and I have to make a $20 deposit even to get the card to try and use it. I would be surprised if anyone uses - which is unfortunate.

I think the goal of a retailer providing this service is to make it basically "free" to visit their store. Even if I visited my Walgreens for only 10 minutes it covered the electricity to get there and get home. That should be the goal - and maybe they could enforce that to make sure it stayed "free". I'd hate to see them raise the price so much so no one uses it and them conclude there is no demand for the charger. There IS demand and it is growing - but just need to align incentives.

bronsonb
Delivery Date: 23 Nov 2012
Leaf Number: 021512

Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:46 am

ericbdavies wrote:I think the goal of a retailer providing this service is to make it basically "free" to visit their store. Even if I visited my Walgreens for only 10 minutes it covered the electricity to get there and get home. That should be the goal - and maybe they could enforce that to make sure it stayed "free". I'd hate to see them raise the price so much so no one uses it and them conclude there is no demand for the charger. There IS demand and it is growing - but just need to align incentives.
Seems like there'd be a way to incentive that...perhaps provide a code you can enter on the charging company's Web site to get free credits after you make a purchase. I am still surprised the Whole Foods by us has their chargers for free, but it does fit with their corporate policies on sustainability. I think most folks would be fine with the chargers being reserved for folks who have spent money at the retailer. Maybe that will be the next wave.
Bronson B
Marietta, GA

os2baba
Delivery Date: 07 Jun 2013
Leaf Number: 404844

Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:49 am

I checked on Sema's web site and they are showing $2.50/hr in Alpharetta as well. So it looks like Walgreens has set this for all their stores. Electricity cost is roughly 10c/KWh. I think the most I have seen is 13c/KWh. An L2 charger with the New Leaf should take 7.2KW per hr. Which would make it about 70-80c per hr. Walgreens is charging 3x+ the cost of the electricity. I doubt that anyone other than someone in an emergency would pay that much.

Chris30269
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011

Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:50 am

It could be tied in with the Walgreen's loyalty card. Maybe free charging if you're a member of their loyalty program. Like how gas stations give you 3 cents off per gallon for being a member. Probably would cost about the same, but it's still a little apples/oranges.

NX2001
Delivery Date: 28 Jun 2013
Leaf Number: 405926

Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:15 am

The Walgreens here in Oregon are charging $0.49 per kWH. That's rather steep considering that electricity is about 11 cents per kWH. I think Blink's $1 per hour is much more palatable by comparison.

Just another reason to not shop at Walgreens :|

Return to “Eastern USA”