Is the Leaf right for me?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrewmanC

So I keep going back and forth whether or not the Leaf is really right for me. I Live in the greater Los Angeles area and have been following the Leaf for quite some time. I signed up the day it was available and now I am scheduled to order in Sept. I was an Aptera reservation holder but that is another story. I really want to make an electric car work, but now I am not so sure.

My info: I commute 37 miles each way to work into LA. It is all highway and, being as though it is LA, you can almost bet some stop and go. Otherwise 60-70mph. When at work, I sometimes need to drive around, but if I know ahead of time I can take my wife's Gas Car. At work I might be able to plug into a 110 outlet. I work long hours 7-7 or more and than drive 35 miles home.

The only other issue is I live in a Condo complex. I have already had a home assesment, just waiting on the numbers. It is a long run from the room where all the meters are to my private run, but do-able. I was told I would need a separate TOU meter either on my units meter or on the main unit. I do have my own private garage so everything is covered.

As much as I want one, I am just not sure if I can make it with that kind of range. I keep going back and forth if I should get a hybrid car, wait a couple of years for the next model and when I have moved to a private residence or just suck it up and make it work. Advice????

CrewmanC said:
My info: I commute 37 miles each way to work into LA. It is all highway and, being as though it is LA, you can almost bet some stop and go. Otherwise 60-70mph. When at work, I sometimes need to drive around, but if I know ahead of time I can take my wife's Gas Car. At work I might be able to plug into a 110 outlet. I work long hours 7-7 or more and than drive 35 miles home.

If you can plug into a 110 Volt outlet, you can definitely do it. Otherwise you will struggle when you use AC.

See if you can talk to ecotality / coulomb and get them to put a charger for you near your office. Yours is one of the scenarios the whole infrastructure thing is supposed to help with.

CrewmanC said:
So I keep going back and forth whether or not the Leaf is really right for me. I Live in the greater Los Angeles area and have been following the Leaf for quite some time. I signed up the day it was available and now I am scheduled to order in Sept. I was an Aptera reservation holder but that is another story. I really want to make an electric car work, but now I am not so sure.

The only other issue is I live in a Condo complex. I have already had a home assesment, just waiting on the numbers. It is a long run from the room where all the meters are to my private run, but do-able. I was told I would need a separate TOU meter either on my units meter or on the main unit. I do have my own private garage so everything is covered.

As much as I want one, I am just not sure if I can make it with that kind of range. I keep going back and forth if I should get a hybrid car, wait a couple of years for the next model and when I have moved to a private residence or just suck it up and make it work. Advice????

If I were you, I would definitely get the LEAF! If you drive it with ECO, you will have plenty of miles to spare. :)

Wow....thanks for the boost in confidence everyone. I was really starting to doubt real world driving range. I mean I drive close to 80 miles total each day without any extra trips! It is great to hear that everyone thinks we will be ok with Real World Range even in LA driving highway with Air Conditioning. Now I just have to figure out the home Charging Aspect...I will probably hire my own electrictian because of the specialty set up. I would feel better about range if they offer the Level 3 charger!

CrewmanC said:
It is great to hear that everyone thinks we will be ok with Real World Range even in LA driving highway with Air Conditioning.

No - nobody thinks that way. As I said you will struggle if you can't charge at your workplace.

Making 80 miles on one charge will depend upon speed, hills, wind, rain, traffic, headlights, driving style, and air conditioning usage.

With all (or most) of these factors on your side, the 89-mile trip should be possible.

However, with several of these factors against you, it would only be "easy" (dependable) if you could arrange to charge at work.

Or, on days with extra driving at work, poor conditions, etc. you could charge somewhere between work and home, as needed.

Scout out some charging possibilities:
1. L1 at a friend's house, or begging door-to-door.
2. L2 while shopping, eating a meal, etc.
3. L3 for 10 or 15 minutes at an e-station.

Cheers, Gary

evnow said:
CrewmanC said:
It is great to hear that everyone thinks we will be ok with Real World Range even in LA driving highway with Air Conditioning.

No - nobody thinks that way. As I said you will struggle if you can't charge at your workplace.
And the point you made about waiting for a private residence ... it will depend on now much you need to spend to get charging at home (current condo). I am all for encouraging you to get an EV, including some compromising (driving slower, plugging in at work), but the money spent on charging at home (and you definitely need Level 2 (240V)) is a significant factor if you are thinking of moving soon (2-3 years or less). If you get the portable Leviton, then you can carry that unit with you to the next "home", but how much for the installation ...

I am not talking you "out of" the LEAF ... would rather talk you "into it" :p

LEAFer said:
And the point you made about waiting for a private residence ...

No - he is already handling his residence charging. I'm talking about getting the infrastructure guys to put an EVSE near his office ...

See if you can talk to ecotality / coulomb and get them to put a charger for you near your office.

74 mile round trip commute and no attached garage? IMO you're setting yourself up for failure. It will be cool for the first week before the novelty of owning an EV wears off and you find yourself miserable with the inconvenience, then wind up dumping it for a big loss in a few months.

Naysayer? or realist?

LTLFTcomposite said:
74 mile round trip commute and no attached garage? IMO you're setting yourself up for failure. It will be cool for the first week before the novelty of owning an EV wears off and you find yourself miserable with the inconvenience, then wind up dumping it for a big loss in a few months.

Naysayer? or realist?

Obviously, Naysayer.

You don't need an attached garage - you just need a place to charge reliably every night.

If you can charge at work then you should be fine. If not - then you may experience some range anxiety.

Even plugging it into a 110 for 7 hours should be enough to make it. They said how many miles per hour of charge on a 110 somewhere - can't remember what it is though.

evnow said:
LEAFer said:
And the point you made about waiting for a private residence ...

No - he is already handling his residence charging. I'm talking about getting the infrastructure guys to put an EVSE near his office ...
I meant THIS part of his info:
... wait a couple of years for the next model and when I have moved to a private residence ...
and the fact that the installation cost he needs to put into the current condo residence is "money out the window".

I agree with office charging. And of course he needs charging at home, but at what cost ?

cdub said:
If you can charge at work then you should be fine. If not - then you may experience some range anxiety.

Even plugging it into a 110 for 7 hours should be enough to make it. They said how many miles per hour of charge on a 110 somewhere - can't remember what it is though.
Well, Nissan claims you can get about 100 miles of driving out of about 20 hours of 120v charging, so that would be 5 "miles/hour". But since people seem to be worried about going 80 miles on a "full tank", let's call it 4 "miles/hour"; still bringing you up to 110 "safe" miles with a 7 hour charge at work.

Actually, my opinion is that he will have no trouble at all, even if he doesn't charge during the day, and even, on top of that, if he needs to drive an extra fifteen or twenty miles! I base that admittedly optimistic opinion on two assumptions:

1) He has some slow-and-go or stop-and-go traffic, which is actually much more efficient in an EV than driving at the speed limit. (I'm assuming he's already learned to look ahead, tap the brakes, and slow gradually rather than hitting the brakes hard; that being the only way in LA to avoid being rear-ended.)

2) That he quickly learns that trucks travel 60 MPH, and running with them is way more efficient than racing in the inside lanes.

hahaha Planet4ever...You are correct, there is definitely an art to driving in LA. It is nice to see that this forum is responding in just the same fashion as my brain. Part of me feels very optimistic, "yeah, no problem getting a real 80 miles, especially if you can charge using 110 during the day and gain another 40" The other part says...maybe wait till there is more real world driving experience. I think it will really depend on the charger set up in the condo. That is a must in any situation, so we will see how much that ends up. Either way I have been very excited about this technology for the last couple of years and can't wait to see Leafs on the road!!!!

CrewmanC, this map may prove helpful for you:

http://www.evchargermaps.com/?Address=Los%20Angeles&Want=SPI%20LPI%20AVC%20OC&Zoom=9

These are existing charging stations in the greater Los Angeles area. A contract has already been awarded to upgrade 3,000 EVSE stations in California to J1772 standards. The upgrades will start this fall, and continue for 12-18 months. Perhaps you will find one or more near your office that will put you more at ease about your situation.

If you are commited to reduce your gasoline consumption and are willing to make a few adjustments in your driving habits I think you are an excellent candidate for the LEAF. Of course non of us have tested a similar commute over time to know for sure. If it was your only vehicle it might be a struggle at times but since you can trade cars with DW as needed I think you are a good fit. JMHO.

Back