No Charge stations showing up

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On Saturday ... I'll try another L1 place. A public location near where the Elk Grove LEAF Branch get-together takes place ... will report back.

I'm in the Bay Area and have the same issue -- no charging stations anywhere. Nissan really should update with their own dealerships. Many of them have both L2 and L3 chargers, like the one in Richmond, CA. But who wants to go hang out at a car dealership, even for 30 minutes?
Follow Ecotality's EV Project (theevproject.com). They claim that they have an "intended rollout date" for all charging stations by Summer 2011. After talking with them a bit, I think that's a joke. They are rolling out this project only region by region, as the government and local authorities act to approve it and finalize contracts with Ecotality. This will take a LOOONG time, patience will have to be a virtue. For now we are tethered to our home charging units.

Josh

In the meantime, look into ChargePoint and get one of their cards. There's an app for your iPhone (not sure which other smartphones it works with) that's handy to find if they have any stations close to you.

Hello everyone not aware of several charge station mapping efforts.
Go to Google. In the search, type in some variation of the following:

electric car charging stations map

Up will pop up several good resources with new stations going in constantly. You are far from tethered to your home charger :)

ranchleaf said:
Up will pop up several good resources with new stations going in constantly. You are far from tethered to your home charger :)
Except that the car doesn't know how to talk to Google, and my cell phone is just a phone, period. So the only time I could find charging stations would be when I'm tethered to home. Not too useful if I start getting battery low warnings.

Ray

LEAFer said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
the Leaf only recognizes special chargers, not 110 volt outlets. to store them as charging locations, go into address book, save location from map, then edit to label as charging station
Not true in my experience. No special procedure required.
DaveinOlyWA said:
i thought the same, but plugged into 2 different ones today and neither popped up which i thought was strange, but still could label them as charging stations anyway since the address book gives you the option;

LEAFer said:
On Saturday ... I'll try another L1 place. A public location near where the Elk Grove LEAF Branch get-together takes place ... will report back.
Ok ... I tested it and it worked for me. Went to a new location (120V only). Parked, plugged in with Nissan's portable L1, charged a few minutes, unplugged, drove off. Wish I had the video going ... but didn't. After pulling away for a few seconds a message popped on the Navi screen saying something like "Laguna Blvd autosaved as charging location".

Check the manual and your settings. In the Navi manual page "2-14" (page 49/251 in the PDF), under "Uniqe EV Functions", left side, "[Other Settings]", "[Autosave New Charging Stations]". Make sure that is enabled.

Do you have QuickCharge port ?

well i am pretty sure it worked before since i already had 2 other 110 volt stations and positive it came up automatically. i will check the setting u pointed out.

i was still able to save them as charging stations but had to select the options from the address book manually

Are the automatic names just a street name?

Perhaps some examples of the names, please.

These names can be edited, right?

Maximum number of characters for the name?

Can you also fill in perhaps 4 other text fields, like phone, etc?

garygid said:
Are the automatic names just a street name?

Perhaps some examples of the names, please.

These names can be edited, right?

Maximum number of characters for the name?

Can you also fill in perhaps 4 other text fields, like phone, etc?
Just now ... I did not play with it exhaustively, but ...

1. Yes, the name is initially automatically set by the Navi after you unplug at that location. This was the location http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=8235+Laguna+Blvd.,+elk+grove,+ca&aq=&sll=38.422361,-121.404548&sspn=0.002946,0.004823&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=8235+Laguna+Blvd,+Elk+Grove,+Sacramento,+California+95758&ll=38.422293,-121.405159&spn=0.001473,0.002411&z=15. And it's whatever the Navi decides (nearest street name).
2. Same answer: Whatever the Navi decides based on the address's nearest street name.
3. Yes you can edit it ... later after the system has automatically added it to the address book. (Once you figure out how to use the Address Book feature in the Navi :lol: Not the easiest task in the world. :roll: )
4. Don't know. I changed it from "LAGUNA BLVD" to "LAGUNA BLVD Henrys Market" and noticed some of the screens displaying the name automatically changed to a smaller font, others displayed a partial name with "..." at the end of it.

I just got a call from Nissan this morning. They said that Nissan will update their carwings charger database quarterly. At least initially. I'm hoping they increase that frequency as more charging stations come online. They said that on March 15th they will be doing their first database update. So if we update charging stations after the 15th, we should finally get some stations showing up on our carwings system. Finally!

-Peter

Quarterly, I would have thought at least 2X a month, Once a quarter is pretty bad considering how they will be added.

prberg said:
I just got a call from Nissan this morning. They said that Nissan will update their carwings charger database quarterly. At least initially. I'm hoping they increase that frequency as more charging stations come online. They said that on March 15th they will be doing their first database update. So if we update charging stations after the 15th, we should finally get some stations showing up on our carwings system. Finally!

-Peter

Quarterly might be OK a year or two down the road, but for the initial rollout when public scrutiny will be highest, they need to update monthly at the very least.
:evil:

malloryk said:
In the meantime, look into ChargePoint and get one of their cards. There's an app for your iPhone (not sure which other smartphones it works with) that's handy to find if they have any stations close to you.

I have the ChargePoint app, but I'm also beta testing the PlugShare app by one of our MNL members. Hopefully this will be widely available soon as it shows both public and private charge sites (like my house).

I haven't used any of these yet since I don't have my Leaf...

Bill

So, has anybody seen any charging-station locations from CARWINGS yet?

Or, asked Nissan CS for a revised estimate of their approximate hoped-for perhaps-intended location-database "start-update" date ... guess?

My understanding from a Nissan rep is that this data is pulled from the Department of Energy database, which is months out of date in my experience. Could someone with a car in hand check whether the data matches what is on the DoE site?

Doron

They really missed an opportunity to do something useful here. Nissan sure talked it up on the Drive Tour, which is quite a contrast to what is actually delivered (an empty database). They should at least populate it manually until the back-end gets their act together. It wouldn't be that much work, and indeed unpaid hobbyists have done it already.

Strange.

Back