Quick Charge L3 in LA, San Bernardino, Riverside Counties

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
timhebb said:
timhebb said:
More good news for L.A. QC users.
Indeed. I actually and rather naively figured on L3 QCs being ubiquitous by now, meaning plenty to choose from in areas that had industrial electricity drops, and alternates should the plan A unit be offline and the plan B QC nearby. Not so.

I have a 2011 that has never been QCed, but as the battery ages out, a few QC stations on route and new life for the LEAF. Still no bar loss yet, but 80% at 9 bars so I am on my way. Smaller battery capacity, faster charging, here I come... Now just need a home unit that sends that DC in...

There's now a Nissan/Sumitomo quick charger at Metro Nissan in Redlands! It was turned on when I went by early this morning, but the CHAdeMO cord was still secured with a tie-wrap. :)

Too bad there are no chargers in the SF Valley by 101. I know there's Universal City Nissan but with Woodland Hills and Thousand Oaks dealers closing doors there's little hope for new installs further North any time soon.

Please, what is the best current resource for mapping out L3 chargers in the greater Los Angeles area? Recargo? Plug share? On the computer? iPhone app? Live status and fee structure would be an added bonus. I am not being so much lazy but have a spinning mind about this... The Nissan system on the car, not so good for this.

The main problem I have is a concern, unfounded or not, is I will arrive to QC to find the unit unavailable, either because it's in use with a line, or out of order... So the half hour stop goes to 5 hours...

And just a side lament, and maybe it's just me but I find it ironic that this area of the civilized world has wired electricity everywhere, but charging, not so much.

JimSouCal said:
Please, what is the best current resource for mapping out L3 chargers in the greater Los Angeles area? Recargo? Plug share? On the computer? iPhone app? Live status and fee structure would be an added bonus. I am not being so much lazy but have a spinning mind about this... The Nissan system on the car, not so good for this.

The main problem I have is a concern, unfounded or not, is I will arrive to QC to find the unit unavailable, either because it's in use with a line, or out of order... So the half hour stop goes to 5 hours...

And just a side lament, and maybe it's just me but I find it ironic that this area of the civilized world has wired electricity everywhere, but charging, not so much.

PlugShare seems to be the best resource at the moment, Recargo is also good, they're the same company now btw. The built-in station locator is mostly useless.

Your concern definitely has merits. Be ready to deal with pain, have plans B and C for charging, there is no solution to these problems as of yet, but the overall situation is much much better than even a year ago.

Valdemar said:
Be ready to deal with pain, have plans B and C for charging, there is no solution to these problems as of yet, but the overall situation is much much better than even a year ago.
Agreed. It's really worrisome when there is no plan B. I always like to know there is some L2 within range at a minimum so that one won't get stranded. Ideally there'd be multiple independent stations close by.

JimSouCal said:
Not just you:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8665&start=10#p310874" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yep, and Mission Hills Nissan at the 118, 405 and 5 wants nothing to do with it... They really have no great interest in the Leaf...

Valdemar said:
Too bad there are no chargers in the SF Valley by 101. I know there's Universal City Nissan but with Woodland Hills and Thousand Oaks dealers closing doors there's little hope for new installs further North any time soon.

Didn't someone on this or a related thread recently post that the Nissan dealership on Van Nuys Blvd. is planning to install DC QC soon? That location is reasonably close to the 101 (about 5 mins. or less) and reasonably central in the SF Valley. It would fill a gap.

timhebb said:
Didn't someone on this or a related thread recently post that the Nissan dealership on Van Nuys Blvd. is planning to install DC QC soon? That location is reasonably close to the 101 (about 5 mins. or less) and reasonably central in the SF Valley. It would fill a gap.

That would be me. Forgot about that dealer and the fact I actually reported a potential install previously. Yes, it would help. Their L2 chargers are in an awkward spot though, hopefully they can find a better location for the QC. Also, this information came from a service advisor who described a vague plan to add DCQC in the "future", so I'd take it with a grain of salt.

nexusplexus said:
PlugShare also shows new chargers at Nissan of San Bernardino and Metro Nissan of Redlands.
Should be possible to hit the slopes in Big Bear?
The last I checked on PlugShare, the QC at Metro Nissan in Redlands is still not available, though you could check with the dealer. I've never visited Nissan of San Bernardino.

But I've done well using Fontana Nissan's QC and climbing the mountain. Using a new LEAF, an 80% charge in Fontana (80% according to the car, not the quick charger which reports a higher number) is enough to reach Arrowbear (via CA-330), where there's L2 charging available as per PlugShare. :)

With careful driving, a new LEAF, and a 100% charge at Fontana Nissan, Big Bear may barely be within reach assuming you climb the mountain on CA-330, the shortest route. Plan on needing to charge in Big Bear.

To arrive on the mountain with the greatest possible margin, you will want to drive slowly on the freeway (55 mph if you can handle it) and try not to climb the mountain too much faster than 40 mph. Be courteous to faster drivers and use turnouts along CA-330.

nexusplexus said:
PlugShare also shows new chargers at Nissan of San Bernardino and Metro Nissan of Redlands.
Should be possible to hit the slopes in Big Bear?

big flurry of dealer fast chargers being installed here as well. anyone have a good source of where we can view these new chargers? We only found out the ones here by accident

Was over at Antelope Valley Nissan in Palmdale today and discovered they have installed a new DCQC. It was powered, but not operational, the screen displaying several error codes. The sales manager said the installation contractor was currently at odds with city inspectors concerning work photographed by the contractor, but not inspected before pouring concrete. The new charger is immediately adjacent to the two existing J1772 units in front of the showroom. Since entrances to the lot are blocked at night, the DCQC will only be available during business hours.

eVgo Freedom Station is coming to Wallgreens on Ventura Blvd. in Encino. There is a $7.95 for 60 days unlimited QC access promotion going. If they further offer a good subscription plan I'm in as it is right on my daily route, currently have to pay $2/hr at work which is much less than ideal at 3.3Kw.

The DCQC at Antelope Valley Nissan in Palmdale is now operational. We used it last Thursday and it worked flawlessly. On LeafDD, our car showed 53% before starting charging and 82% when we left. The DCQC displayed 98% at the end. Amps to our car started at 72 and reduced steadily to ~20 where the decline steepened to 6 when we unplugged. Total connection time was 34 minutes. No cost at this time and none anticipated. The two J-1772 plugs are six feet away. The lot is closed when not open for normal business. If you get out this way to use it, take time to thank Victor, their original LEAF salesman, and especially the manager inside.

While charging at the Miller Nissan in Van Nuys this morning I met AJ who's involved in rolling out the NRG quick-charging network here. We had a good chat, he said the Walgreens station off Reseda exit on 101 should be online any day now. There will also be another station in the Warner Center area in Woodland Hills, on the North-East corner of Canoga Ave/Burbank Blvd. intersection. It is a small paid parking lot packed with fast food places, apparently there is a 15 minute grace period and you can also validate parking at a restaurant there or Coffee Bean, but still it is slightly less than ideal. They also plan to have a site in Thousand Oaks that will complement the limping Blink and another one in Ventura, looks like trips to Santa Barbara from the Valley will be well covered. According to him most sites are on a 120Kw feed, and they have a provision for adding an independent SAE plug later.

Back