SPX 32A L2 Plug-In, All-Voltage EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have a link to the install manual? Specifically on how to adjust the offered current to a lower value. It says adjustable by the electrician/installer and I would like to know if a special tool or replacement part is needed.

According to the CS rep I spoke to when I ordered, and the updated webpage the unit comes with a NEMA 6-30 plug. If no one can find an installation manual I'll take lots of pictures if/when my unit arrives.

pii100 said:
According to the CS rep I spoke to when I ordered, and the updated webpage the unit comes with a NEMA 6-30 plug. If no one can find an installation manual I'll take lots of pictures if/when my unit arrives.
A NEMA 6-30 plug does not support 32 amp charging (not a problem for 3.3kW LEAF). The spec on the SS10-50600 looks to be 24 amp. I need to call them.

garygid said:
Does anybody actually have one of these Adjustable Max-Current EVSEs yet?

What is the availability situation with these?

Are they really 100v to 260v operation?
My card was charged Wednesday, so I may have one soon.

A few questions, please:
How long have you been waiting since you ordered?
Exactly what model did you order?
Ordered how and from where?
For how much, what shipping and tax amount?
What shipping method and carrier?
Did you get a tracking number yet?
Shipped insured, for what amount?
Are they now "in stock" for immediate shipping?
Can one now order on-line?
Link to order page, or a phone number?
Order or contact person's name?
Thanks a bunch.

A few answers:
How long have you been waiting since you ordered? 32 days
Exactly what model did you order? Power Express portable EVSE, Model# EL-50600
Ordered how and from where? called SPX Service Solutions, 28635 Mound Road, Warren, MI 48092
For how much, what shipping and tax amount? $745 + tax + shipping, $810.79 total
What shipping method and carrier? Ground, probably UPS
Did you get a tracking number yet? No
Shipped insured, for what amount? No
Are they now "in stock" for immediate shipping? don't know. I was told 60 days from receipt of order last Saturday.
Can one now order on-line? No. Call 877-805-3873
Link to order page, or a phone number? http://servicesolutions.spx.com/FullDisplay.aspx?id=26&l=1
Order or contact person's name? Linda

I am planning to call Larry Adair, Sales Manager for EV Installations at 1 586-578-7250 on Tuesday to confirm the specs of the unit shipped. There is a "Voltec" unit that I assume is for the Volt, and may have a lower power rating. I am expecting a 32 amp unit. This is still a work in progress.

KeiJidosha said:
I am expecting a 32 amp unit.
I swear yesterday I read 24 amp on the pdf. With a nema 6-30 I don't know how it can be rated 32a or even 30a. I suspect many evse are limiting to 30a to avoid going to #8 wire. I think #10 is 30a max but it could be 32a.

On edit:

I just kept missing it.

"Input Voltage: 95/264V -24A (30A Circuit)"

My hope is that there is an input terminal block to allow the use of different cord sets and then the max current can be set to match the breaker and wire/plug via dip switches. I am guessing that the unit is wired with the 6-30p and set to 24a max at the factory. Someone at SPX probably decided that 6-30 receptacles are the most common. We will know for sure once Keijidosha or I receive a unit.

They describe a 32 amp (max), adjustable Max-Current model.
but this 50600 might not be the the one?

This one:
http://servicesolutions.spx.com/pdf/SS10-283_evse_spcsht4.pdf
says
"Amperage. 32Amax (Field Adjustable)"

but does not give a model number.

I don't remember them ever listing a model number on the spec sheet PDF. Considering that PDF is linked on the same page it would be a pretty major bait and switch. The proof will be in the pudding. If they deliver something different using a credit card will have proven to be a wise choice.

One could call them and inquire about what is described on that page (in their linked PDF) vs what they are sending (will send, have sent) to you, right?

Where did "your" 24A (30A circuit) description come from (apparently not the PDF on this page)?

According to customer service, the "Power Express portable EVSE" and the "Model# EL-50600 EVSE" are the same unit. The spec sheet showing 24 amp draw, and NEMA 6-30 connector is updated information. CS insists unit will deliver 32 amps to the car. And, I have not received an order confirmation because the email is sent on order shipment, not placement (ie, the Power Express is not in the mail. Yet).

Maybe I've been away from electronics for too long, but this makes no sense to me. Still waiting.

Looks like two different web sites, and two different EVSEs being described, with only he "homesolutions" EVSE (Power Express) being offered for sale.

Question:
In the "Other" (SPX Level 2 all-voltage, adjustable Max-Current) EVSE going to be a product?

I had talked to Larry Adair, Sales Manager for EV Installations at SPX Service Solutions yesterday, and he was a little vague about the input connector too.

So the SPX EVSE showed up today. The input connector is not attached! I think this is a bit like when the exhaust system for your Z28 Camero came in the trunk. there is some regulatory hurdle that doesn’t allow SPX to sell this with a NEMA 14-50. I will read up on how to post pictures and put them up later (I am consumed by mwalsh's EMS diary project).

This looks very promising!

You are making me seriously jealous. Looking forward to the pictures. I don't think this board allows attachments so you'll have to host them on Flickr, Picasa, or some other service then link to them or embed them with the img tag.

Back