SPX 32A L2 Plug-In, All-Voltage EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would get the SPX for a permanent or semi permanent charging solution. I just do not see the Nissan unit as a permanent solution. SPX would be instead of AV, Clipper Creek, Leviton, Blink, EV ChargeAmerica, Shneider EVlink, etc. I will still probably mod my Nissan unit to carry with me and small set of adapters.

EVDRIVER said:
less present utility for outdoor use and durability.

What do you base this statement on? The unit is NEMA 4X rated for outdoor use and looks to be rather robust depending on just how thick that case is.

YMMV but for me its a good deal, better than upgrading my current unit then buying an addition upgraded Panasonic unit from Phil and then having to get a 32a capable unit at some point down the road. I agree if you don't plan to purchase an EV with a >=3.9Kw charger on-board, only need one EVSE, only ever own a leaf, or can wait to purchase an additional L2 after prices drop its not a good deal. For me I need one to stay in the car and one to stay in the garage 90% of the time but be able to travel with me when needed.

For the record I am getting Phil's upgrade as soon as he returns from hiatus and think its the best/cheapest way to L2.

Agreed Gary, probably too early to call the quality of the unit.

garygid said:
It looks like a 6-30 plug (240v), not 5-30 (120v).

The mounting bracket is "needed" because the EVSE body needs to be "held in place" so that a sufficient "pull/tug" on the J1772 "hose" will pull the hose "OUT" of the EVSE body enough (not much) to "turn off" the power to the car. Usually the Control Pilot wire disconnects first, causing the EVSE to open its relays.

I agree, but we need a definitive answer on the plug type (and what else we can "wire in"--recognizing safety/codes). This unit is very similar to something like the (not yet released) Leviton--which comes with a 6-20 plug--and I think it would be an excellent alternative depending on (discounted) prices. Even if I use a (modified) Nissan EVSE at first, I'm going to get something "permanent" to keep in the garage before the end of this year; I'll never live without a backup charger long-term.

The supplied pigtail is a 12" 10-3 SJOOW Black Molded 6-30 connector. Cable O.D is 9/16" and a 3/4" strain relief.

And the cable length is 16' as delivered. Call SPX if you need the 25 foot cable.

Here are pictures of the Junction box section at the top of the case

img2048z.jpg

img2051nh.jpg

Here are the instructions on the case

img2049n.jpg

And technical Specs

spxspecpage.jpg

I agree with EVDRIVER that this does not have much benefit to 3.3kW LEAF drivers over the modified Panasonic unit for opportunity charging. It is also heavier and bulkier. But it is a good alternative to the AV unit for home install, with the ability to travel. And is a must for anyone considering a 6.6kW vehicle.

KeiJidosha said:
But it is a good alternative to the AV unit for home install, with the ability to travel. And is a must for anyone considering a 6.6kW vehicle.

That's the key: depending on how pricing shakes out once the Leviton hits the streets, this unit could be a winner. I can always put a different plug/pigtail on it, and adjustable power setting makes it "future-proof".

FYI, I was quoted a 60-day lead time for the SPX unit (50600?) today, price is $749. They have another unit, but you need a Volt VIN to get it - I wonder if there is a priority for Volt customers or something.

PhatBoyG said:
FYI, I was quoted a 60-day lead time for the SPX unit (50600?) today, price is $749. They have another unit, but you need a Volt VIN to get it - I wonder if there is a priority for Volt customers or something.
long wait if true, so next choice is?

PhatBoyG said:
Did you order with standard 16' cable or did you special order 25'?

That's odd, because I called SPX today and they said that I can order and they will start shipping August 1st!

pkitchen said:
That's odd, because I called SPX today and they said that I can order and they will start shipping August 1st!

I don't know who you spoke with, but I had a very long conversation with two well-informed CSRs and the absolute BEST they could do is end of August for the PowerXpress. Volt owners do NOT get preferential scheduling.

If I buy the SPX powerXpress and install it with the 32A settings and 40A breakers, NEMA 6-50 outlet. Can you move the dip switch to the 16A position with the heavier gauge wire/breaker/receptacle and work with the Leaf? Or do I have to install it with the 16A settings and 20A breakers?

I want to save on installation costs down the road - I don't want to have an electrician come back and have to install a bigger breaker, heavier gauge wire, higher A receptable, etc), when I have a 7.7 kW vehicle in a couple of years after the Leaf.

MTNRanger said:
If I buy the SPX powerXpress and install it with the 32A settings and 40A breakers, NEMA 6-50 outlet. Can you move the dip switch to the 16A position with the heavier gauge wire/breaker/receptacle and work with the Leaf? Or do I have to install it with the 16A settings and 20A breakers?
You could, but you can also simply leave it set to the 32A setting. The LEAF will happily use 16A of the 32A available, plus when your Tesla owning friend comes to visit, he can charge at 32A. ;) All of the AV and Blink EVSEs that people have (and the public Chargepoints, etc...) are all capable of 30A charging and there's no need to "turn them down" for the LEAF. You can even plug your LEAF into a 72A Tesla charging station if it's been converted to J1772.

MTNRanger said:
The breaker protects the wire not the appliance. Not sure why you would need to change the dip switch. The car should tell the charger what it wants. For example, the Blink charger used by all Leafs participating in the EV Project by default uses a 40A breaker (can be smaller).

Back