Unable to change dealership

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnr said:
FYI: I was able to change my dealer today by using the "my dealer" link at the very bottom of the page.
Yes, at least in my case, that link to 'find a dealer' would allow you to select a new PD, but the new PD selection would not get reflected on the order screen(s). That was one of the bugs. But, for me, this and the other bugs have been fixed as of earlier today. I believe the same is true for other folks as well.

Well, it has been three days since I got the quote returned from the original dealer. I was supposed to be able to change dealers after 24 hours. The quote actually expired on Thursday and still I can not choose a different dealer.

Long4Leaf said:
Well, it has been three days since I got the quote returned from the original dealer. I was supposed to be able to change dealers after 24 hours. The quote actually expired on Thursday and still I can not choose a different dealer.

Looks like Critical Mass develop this website like they used to write software in the 70s i.e. no testing.

Apparently the problem with changing the dealer still exists today. Called it in and it's being "escalated" to web developer. The bigger stink for round two is that dealers will not talk to you (at least in TX) until you RFQ from them through the portal. Gggrrrr.

Still a problem. RAQ 5/10 From Tracy Nissan and only got MSRP plus a healthy dose of bad attitude when I called to discuss. Went looking for other options and found posts regarding Brendan Dolan at Boardwalk. Gave him a call, mentioned MNL and was off the phone one minute later with 5% under MSRP. Thanks, Brendan! Waited 24hrs as Brendan advised and was unable to change. Have since chatted with CS three times and emailed three times over three days and still nothing other than an apology for any inconvenience this may be causing. An apology is nice, but reaching into the database and updating my PD now and fixing the broken portal on your own time is better! :evil:

UPDATE: No word back from CS as promised, so I chatted with them and got resolution. I don't know the steps involved at their end, but I ended up having to resubmit to the incorrect PD in order to get an option to submit to another dealer.

Not to resurrect an old thread but I will as I couldn't find this listed anywhere else and wanted to at least post for responses and experiences. As my order changed from 'month of' to 'week of' (also got the VIN and activated CARWINGS successfully) decided to go about seeing what I want to do with car that the LEAF will replace as I'm about a month or so away from delivery. All the while, as my order date changed I'm emailing my dealer contact to see if they may have some additional info as well as now we have a VIN ... didn't get anything back but assume they were busy so let it go for a few days (and as many have jobs like me can't be on the forum ALL the time, etc.)

-- in any case, had yesterday off so other than some errands had the 'other' car checked out by my OEM dealer for a few minor things which get fixed (plus they wash inside and out) and decide to try Carmax first to see what it will bring (of course the rep was nice, explained the whole thing about it's an auction price, etc., etc.) but was pleasantly surprised that it was only a few hundred under what I see on edmunds.com for 'trade-in' value

-- the rep said I had a real cream puff (more about that another time) but could understand if I didn't want to go through the hassle of selling it myself + the tax savings advantage (you pay sales tax only on the difference of the trade-in versus 'new' or newer car you're buying) so confident that I have a good base price to start from, I call my designated Nissan dealer only to find out the rep has left the dealership and I'm on the phone with his backup (I later find out that he's getting all the former rep's emails from me, so why not introduce yourself, etc. ??)

I ask if I can bring the car in for a pre-appraisal as we are just a little over a month away which he agrees to. Long story short(er); they take a drive in the car and their appraiser says it looks like it has mis-matched tires and may need new ones (doesn't; verified by OEM dealer and Carmax) but otherwise looks good and their initial 'offer' is $1,700 LESS than Carmax !! I keep my cool as I didn't give them a target price but remember Carmax is typically a low ball as they move lots of cars and mention how far off they are to an ‘auction’ price (remember we don't have the LEAF yet, not even sure when it will be there) so he goes back to the appraiser and they say now they actually like the car and will basically 'match' the Carmax price (rounded down of course). Well, as we don't have any other real business although I did meet the GM and owner, I'm looking at other cars in the showroom and they all have the infamous 'add-on' sticker ($69 for Nitrogen, $150 extra cost 'wheel locks', etc.) so I’m thinking --- hmm, perhaps the dealer quote I have for ‘just MSRP, no markup’ may not be as well as he low balled my trade-in (obviously, I’m OK with buying at MSRP but he can’t make it on BOTH ends) and the original rep is now gone

-- so to get to the gist, I contact Nissan CS to see if I might be able to change my dealer – explain the concern about the new inexperienced rep, possible later fudging on the sale price, low trade-in value, etc. CS says my car is ‘in transit’ but not yet in port BUT too late to change dealers – I say OK I’ll contact the dealer but what was also interesting is that I mention that I could also ‘decline’ the car when it comes in and CS says ‘well there may be charges for that’ – of course, I’m thinking possibly just the $99 reservation fee as I did NOT put any other money down but didn’t we see someone who refused delivery due to poor paint – if so what out of pocket did you pay? I know that simply cancelling the order due to these unknowns would be foolish as it would put me to the end of the queue but what alternatives has everyone else done in similar situations? Sorry being long-winded but yesterday (also being Halloween) I seemed to have been tricked versus treated !!

redLEAF said:
...OK I’ll contact the dealer but what was also interesting is that I mention that I could also ‘decline’ the car when it comes in and CS says ‘well there may be charges for that’ – of course, I’m thinking possibly just the $99 reservation fee as I did NOT put any other money down but didn’t we see someone who refused delivery due to poor paint – if so what out of pocket did you pay? ...
Pretty much every "orphan" you hear about is a car that someone ordered, but decided not to purchase. The dealer generally considers this a boon, as they can more easily mark up a car that's already on the lot and available for any buyer. There has never been any sort of penalty reported, and unless you signed something stating you would pay a penalty, I don't see how they could impose one.

redLEAF said:
-- so to get to the gist, I contact Nissan CS to see if I might be able to change my dealer – explain the concern about the new inexperienced rep, possible later fudging on the sale price, low trade-in value, etc. CS says my car is ‘in transit’ but not yet in port BUT too late to change dealers – I say OK I’ll contact the dealer but what was also interesting is that I mention that I could also ‘decline’ the car when it comes in and CS says ‘well there may be charges for that’ – of course, I’m thinking possibly just the $99 reservation fee as I did NOT put any other money down but didn’t we see someone who refused delivery due to poor paint – if so what out of pocket did you pay? I know that simply cancelling the order due to these unknowns would be foolish as it would put me to the end of the queue but what alternatives has everyone else done in similar situations? Sorry being long-winded but yesterday (also being Halloween) I seemed to have been tricked versus treated !!

I'm in the same boat you are. Getting close to delivery and final price negotiations aren't working out as well as expected.

I would certainly hope there's no "penalty" for walking away at the last minute. All we really get for our $99 is something called "right of first offer", which means that when the car arrives at the dealer, we get the first shot at negotiation. Beyond that, not much else. If we choose to turn down the offer, the dealer is free to sell the car to anyone else (possibly for a big markup over MSRP if they can get someone else to accept it).

If the cars were hard to sell, I could see possibly giving up the $99 reservation fee if you walked away from a right of first offer contract. But, at least at this stage, the car should not be hard to sell, and the dealer may be quite happy to see you walk away as it relieves them of any obligation to you.

Herm said:
Paranoia much?

not me -- didn't 'sign' anything; there is a Chicago area dealer that required an additional deposit at the time of ordering (perhaps as he thought he might get 'stuck' with the car) but not the one I'm assigned to .. perhaps just misinformation from Nissan CS

Back