Any Leafs delivered to Georgia yet?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Confirmed the GA Power building on Prince Avenue in Athens has a charging station in the back parking lot. (THANK YOU FOR THE TIP) It is really nice with lots of trees and greenery. I charged for about 30 minutes and powered up +16 miles. I even started telling the good news to a couple of GA Power employees who were sort of interested. They use it to charge a company truck and had never seen anyone else charging there. I thanked them for the juice and was on my merry way!

I'm so glad to find a free Level 2 charger close to downtown Athens since I'm on the opposite end of town from the Nissan dealership but frequently do have activites in downtown area.

still trickling at home...

Hi Ted,

Saturday my son was flying with the Young Eagles; I had a lesson myself on Sunday.

Do you have a silver beard?

Paul

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Good deal, Paul. Ted here. Were you flying?

mar22013 said:
Confirmed the GA Power building on Prince Avenue in Athens has a charging station in the back parking lot. (THANK YOU FOR THE TIP) It is really nice with lots of trees and greenery. I charged for about 30 minutes and powered up +16 miles. I even started telling the good news to a couple of GA Power employees who were sort of interested. They use it to charge a company truck and had never seen anyone else charging there. I thanked them for the juice and was on my merry way!

I'm so glad to find a free Level 2 charger close to downtown Athens since I'm on the opposite end of town from the Nissan dealership but frequently do have activites in downtown area.

Could you add this station to PlugShare please? I'm planning to hit Athens soon, so any additional options (aside from Nissan of Athens) would be great. By the way, do you have any experience charging at that dealership?

I had trickled at home for over a year and would still trickle but I do enjoy the "free" Blink station very much now. 240 V is convenient but not necessary for those who still have gassers, drive an American avg. of 41 miles a day, and can take advantage of public charging whenever needed.

Plugshare is not working for me this week. Is the site down? Sorry I could not add it yet.

Georgia Power Co:
1001 Prince Avenue Athens, GA

Turn off Prince onto Chase Street and a right into the parking lot entrance.

I do have experience with Nissan of Athens. I just bought a 2013 Leaf from them. They have a couple charging areas... One is next to the showroom on the left corner. The other is way around the service department on the back left corner of the building (so I'm told) and you can circle (from right side) around the back to get in the gate for this area after hours... I have not tried this but it is for us proud Leaf customers!

Mike G. is the Leaf sales guy and is very enthusiastic about this product. You are welcome to charge at the dealership.

mar22013 said:
Hi Ted,

Saturday my son was flying with the Young Eagles; I had a lesson myself on Sunday.

Do you have a silver beard?

Paul

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Good deal, Paul. Ted here. Were you flying?
Yes, Paul, I am ONE of the guys with a silver beard, Tilley hat and khaki vest. I was working the Young Eagles flight checkin. My Leaf was parked on the aircraft side of the fence. I have the silver, 46 ft. wingspan motorglider my wife and I built about 4 yrs ago. It was in the hangar on last Sat. I am doing the condition inspection required once a year by the FAA. I would love for you and your son to see the aircraft some time. Let me know. Ted

mar22013 said:

OOPPS - I checked with GA Pwr - They want the charger to be used by their staff only - Sorry - I should have checked. Bummer. However, I have used the two chargers by the service door of Athens Nissan 24/7 All working.
Sorry for the bad info.
Ted

Yes, oops indeed. I wish I could put a dime and a nickel in a tin can or slip an envelope under the door. What a useful location, I hope they reconsider since they are in a prime position to catalyze & capitalize on an increase in demand in their own product.

tstaton said:
mar22013 said:

OOPPS - I checked with GA Pwr - They want the charger to be used by their staff only - Sorry - I should have checked. Bummer. However, I have used the two chargers by the service door of Athens Nissan 24/7 All working.
Sorry for the bad info.
Ted
OK, sorry I led folks to think the GA power office on Prince Ave Athens welcomed non-employee charging (they don't) SO attempting to make amends - I personally talked to the manager of the Walgreens pharmacy at corner of Lexington Rd and Cherokee Rd (front of Lowes on Athens eastside). He was VERY excited about the possibility of putting in a EVSE. He claims to have never heard of Walgreen's doing that. I asked him to check with Monroe and Lawrenceville stores. He said, "We would really like to do this because we at Walgreens like to think of ourselves as increasingly green". The manager with whom I spoke is "Ed", a friendly guy. Stop by to see Ed and put the word in - we need a charging place on the east side of Athens. I know a man in Elberton who works in Athens and would be even more interested in a LEAF if he could charge on the east side of town.
Ted

mar22013 said:
Yes, oops indeed. I wish I could put a dime and a nickel in a tin can or slip an envelope under the door. What a useful location, I hope they reconsider since they are in a prime position to catalyze & capitalize on an increase in demand in their own product.
I know what you mean, Paul. Ga Pwr has a web site for "pro-EV", but I keep finding their sites not available to the public - something seems amiss. I have had a similar experience looking that Ga Pwr's policy on buying back solar power from customers. "Yes, we DO have a plan for Georgian's to sell Solar energy to Ga Pwr" But then read the fine print - "until .0002 percent of ..." Whatever.
Please see my email about Walgreens above.
Ted

I took possession of my new White 2013 Leaf tonight from Capital City Nissan ITP in Chamblee. I live in Peachtree Corners and commute to Windward Pkwy/GA400, so I will be out on the winding back roads of Johns Creek and Alpharetta Monday thru Friday.

On the way home, I checked out a free L2 charger at Mayer Electric Supply in Norcross, off Peachtree Industrial Blvd access road (just South of Jimmy Carter Blvd). None of the Walgreens in my home area have the free chargers yet, although I've heard the Walgreens in downtown Alpharetta has one. My ClipperCreek LCS-25 will be installed in my garage next week.

Hopefully some of the Atlanta area grocery stores and warehouse stores will add the chargers in the future. Publix and Costco, I'm looking at you!

GA Power is the biggest pile of manure. Solar power will destroy them, so they'll are very against all, but especially solar, renewable energy. They have to justify the new nuke plant that has 3X cost overruns that nobody needs since out energy usage has been going down, so they'll be passing huge rate increases very soon. Anyone joining the solar club will only make it worse for them.

I am surprised that they fail to see the opportunity in rolling out some type of a charging network and push for EV adoption but that's just a hick mentality and old people running things. Their EV rate plan is a joke; the whole company is a joke but they are a monopoly with an army of lobbyists, so let's prepare for war...

cracovian said:
GA Power is the biggest pile of manure. Solar power will destroy them, so they'll are very against all, but especially solar, renewable energy. They have to justify the new nuke plant that has 3X cost overruns that nobody needs since out energy usage has been going down, so they'll be passing huge rate increases very soon. Anyone joining the solar club will only make it worse for them.

I am surprised that they fail to see the opportunity in rolling out some type of a charging network and push for EV adoption but that's just a hick mentality and old people running things. Their EV rate plan is a joke; the whole company is a joke but they are a monopoly with an army of lobbyists, so let's prepare for war...
Preach it, Brother! :)

sonnylax said:
Hopefully some of the Atlanta area grocery stores and warehouse stores will add the chargers in the future. Publix and Costco, I'm looking at you!

I remember a few years back Costco had electric car chargers outside its stores. Since I wasn't driving an EV at the time (and the Leaf hadn't been released), I have no idea what type of chargers they were. I will say I NEVER saw them being used. They eventually took them out.

The Whole Foods by me has free L2 chargers. I charged up there yesterday. I try to charge there at least once a week to make sure people see these chargers being used. Otherwise, I think ICE vehicles will start using the spaces. I have seen more plug ins there recently, but I've never seen both spaces occupied by a plug in when I arrived.

When fetching my car, I noticed a GAS Prius (not a plug in hybrid) occupying the space in front of the other L2 charger. It's a red Prius that I've seen there before, and I did one time leave a note for the driver explaining the purpose of the charging space (that although it says "Hybrid/EV Charging Space'' it's for a PLUG IN hybrid, not a "regular" hybrid). Apparently the driver has chosen to ignore this and parks there anyway.

It's one thing to see a space ICEd. It's another to see it ICEd by a Prius.

bronsonb said:
sonnylax said:

I remember a few years back Costco had electric car chargers outside its stores. Since I wasn't driving an EV at the time (and the Leaf hadn't been released), I have no idea what type of chargers they were. I will say I NEVER saw them being used. They eventually took them out.

The Whole Foods by me has free L2 chargers. I charged up there yesterday. I try to charge there at least once a week to make sure people see these chargers being used. Otherwise, I think ICE vehicles will start using the spaces. I have seen more plug ins there recently, but I've never seen both spaces occupied by a plug in when I arrived.

When fetching my car, I noticed a GAS Prius (not a plug in hybrid) occupying the space in front of the other L2 charger. It's a red Prius that I've seen there before, and I did one time leave a note for the driver explaining the purpose of the charging space (that although it says "Hybrid/EV Charging Space'' it's for a PLUG IN hybrid, not a "regular" hybrid). Apparently the driver has chosen to ignore this and parks there anyway.

It's one thing to see a space ICEd. It's another to see it ICEd by a Prius.

The driver needs to get a ticket.

That Whole Foods location gets busy. I've seen a LEAF and a Volt charging and I was unable to plug in quite often. I see Prius hybrids and hybrid Higlanders parked there all the time too... It gets ICEd less often but the vans with kids obey different rules apparently when the lot gets full. Not leaving notes but I've mentioned to customer service that their signage is confusing and using the word "hybrid" is so last decade now :)

The Kohl's next door has two free Blinks and decent signage now, so it's another option for this busy plaza.

I too remember Costco chargers - those were paddle types used by EV1s which Georgia had quite a few of. It'd be cool and super effective if they put a few new chargers next to the gas stations there...

greengate said:

You cannot get a ticket for parking in EV spaces in GA. Also, the signage actually says "hybrid/electric vehicles", so it technically applies to hybrid drivers too (or so they think without using common sense...)

cracovian said:
greengate said:

You cannot get a ticket for parking in EV spaces in GA. Also, the signage actually says "hybrid/electric vehicles", so it technically applies to hybrid drivers too (or so they think without using common sense...)

I agree that the signage is confusing. It should just say "Plug in vehicles only." I think the Volt and plug in hybrid drivers would know it included them.

I've not tried the ones at Kohl's yet. A neighbor told me he thought they weren't free, but I've not been up there to check. I'll check them out next time I'm at Merchant's Walk.

The EV Club of the South rolls its eyes at the ICE vehicles that park in charging spaces. They've noted (as the poster did) that there is nothing you can do. Apparently, there's a charger at a bar in Decatur that is ALWAYS blocked. I don't know how much clearer than green striped and big signs they can get. *sigh*

I stopped by the Kohl's at Merchant's Walk over lunch today to check out their chargers. I like how Kohl's handled it. First off, the sign they have in place, at a quick glance, looks like a handicap space sign. The sign, however, clearly reads, "<no parking symbol> Except for electric vehicle charging." That makes it clear it's a CHARGE space and not a "special Prius space."

The chargers are currently free, but I don't know if there are plans to start charging. I know most other open Blink chargers I've seen do charge by the hour. I think I'll go ahead and get my Blink card though!

Just completed my new lease last evening. What is the best way to start the process for filing the forms for Georgia Taxes? Do I need to wait until I get my own permanent tag for the vehicle?

sonnylax said:
Just completed my new lease last evening. What is the best way to start the process for filing the forms for Georgia Taxes? Do I need to wait until I get my own permanent tag for the vehicle?

Yes, you will need the vehicle registration information before you can complete that form. Since you can't get the $5,000 rebate until next year anyway, there's not an immediate rush.

As I recall, I think it took about 2 - 3 weeks to get the tags so I had the registration number needed to submit the paperwork. The guy at the Department of Revenue took less than two weeks to approve my form.

One FYI I heard was to make sure you have printed off a color copy of the form. He won't accept black and white. My dealership gave me a poor copy of the form, and I printed a fresh one from the GA web site before submitting.

FYI - Getting the rebate took only about a month. I did have to submit a paper return (versus electronic filing), but it was relatively quick compared to two years ago when my refund was four months delayed.

Back