Any Leafs delivered to Georgia yet?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
18.jpg

i wish AVIS would keep the rental fleet not parked infront of the chargers at cumberland sears blink chargers.

tstaton said:
In the wild: Beautiful Black (yes, the new black!!) LEAF headed north on 53 north of Gainesville at about 4:30 pm. Gorgeous!

I'd better go look to see if mine is still in my garage!!

(Near Chicago. Might be!! Something this beautiful wants to be seen.)

The ATL Kohl's locations (I believe there are two so far) charged the fees initially but just went to free a couple of weeks ago, so there's a chance they'll stay this way for good :)

cracovian said:
The ATL Kohl's locations (I believe there are two so far) charged the fees initially but just went to free a couple of weeks ago, so there's a chance they'll stay this way for good :)
Good for them - good for us - It is good business all around. EVERY TIME I find a free charger I buy something I wasn't planning to buy just to say "thank you". :)

cracovian said:
GA Power is the biggest pile of manure. Solar power will destroy them, so they'll are very against all, but especially solar, renewable energy. They have to justify the new nuke plant that has 3X cost overruns that nobody needs since out energy usage has been going down, so they'll be passing huge rate increases very soon. Anyone joining the solar club will only make it worse for them.

I am surprised that they fail to see the opportunity in rolling out some type of a charging network and push for EV adoption but that's just a hick mentality and old people running things. Their EV rate plan is a joke; the whole company is a joke but they are a monopoly with an army of lobbyists, so let's prepare for war...
Did you see GP trying to explain solar etc to the Public Service Commission yesterday?
I did not know that was going on then, but I read it in the paper this morning. Who buys the best lawyers??? :(

tstaton said:
cracovian said:
Good for them - good for us - It is good business all around. EVERY TIME I find a free charger I buy something I wasn't planning to buy just to say "thank you". :)

Yep. I drove down to the downtown Alpharetta Walgreens to buy a candy bar and use their charger for a few minutes yesterday.

tstaton said:
cracovian said:
GA Power is the biggest pile of manure. Solar power will destroy them, so they'll are very against all, but especially solar, renewable energy. They have to justify the new nuke plant that has 3X cost overruns that nobody needs since out energy usage has been going down, so they'll be passing huge rate increases very soon. Anyone joining the solar club will only make it worse for them.

I am surprised that they fail to see the opportunity in rolling out some type of a charging network and push for EV adoption but that's just a hick mentality and old people running things. Their EV rate plan is a joke; the whole company is a joke but they are a monopoly with an army of lobbyists, so let's prepare for war...

Did you see GP trying to explain solar etc to the Public Service Commission yesterday?
I did not know that was going on then, but I read it in the paper this morning. Who buys the best lawyers??? :(

As a former Southern Company employee, I will say they hire the best lawyers. And I will agree it's a bunch of old men running the joint, and conservativism is ingrained into the culture.

But the other side of the story is that solar is just too expensive, and large-scale solar in Georgia just isn't economical. We don't have the solar intensity or as many days of sun like they do out west. There's also the problem about what you do when the sun goes down. You still have to have baseload capacity to cover that. Unfortunately the nuclear bet was made before the shale gas boom that brought natural gas prices down, so back when that decision was made, nuclear had the lowest long-term cost of any other fuel and the added benefit of no CO2 emissions. The cost overruns are inexcusable though, and I'm hoping Southern is forced to eat a lot of that.

sonnylax said:
Yep. I drove down to the downtown Alpharetta Walgreens to buy a candy bar and use their charger for a few minutes yesterday.

I'm thinking about switching my wife's prescriptions back to Walgreens in Kennesaw since they have a free charger there.

getabetterpic said:
But the other side of the story is that solar is just too expensive, and large-scale solar in Georgia just isn't economical. We don't have the solar intensity or as many days of sun like they do out west. There's also the problem about what you do when the sun goes down. You still have to have baseload capacity to cover that. Unfortunately the nuclear bet was made before the shale gas boom that brought natural gas prices down, so back when that decision was made, nuclear had the lowest long-term cost of any other fuel and the added benefit of no CO2 emissions. The cost overruns are inexcusable though, and I'm hoping Southern is forced to eat a lot of that.

I agree with that but GA Power doesn't have to build any of the solar capacity! We do! Yet, they limit how much of the solar capacity can be present in the area (.2%) and how many watts they buy back from commercial installations at 17c/kWh. This allowance is so low that the waiting list is years long. They could probably cut that number in half and they would still have hundreds of eager takers. They also limit the size of residential and non-residential installations and only provide basic net-metering and obviously no other incentives whatsoever.

We have the potential to produce 1/3 of all energy in GA this way but that would spell doom to the monopoly and its setup, so they're looking out for their own regulated interest.

EDIT: Encouraging electric charging at night is great and it would even out their capacity and minimize waste but don't double my rates to 20 cents during the day just so I can pay you the same (or actually often more) a month.

Speaking of GA Power.... has anyone here signed up for their Super Off Peak pricinig plan for EV's?
http://www.georgiapower.com/environment/electric-vehicles/what-rate-plan-is-best-for-you.cshtml

Thoughts????

Plug-in Electric Vehicle Rate:
The new Plug-in Electric Vehicle rate (PEV) provides a discount on electricity during nighttime hours, 11 p.m. until 7 a.m. With the PEV rate, you can save money on your electric bill just by making simple changes like setting a timer for your vehicle to charge at night and shifting your other electricity usage from weekday summer afternoons. The PEV rate has three different time periods: On-peak, Off-peak and Super Off-peak.
Super off-peak: The Super off-peak time period is from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m., every day. If you charge your car during these nighttime hours, Georgia Power will pass our lowest prices to you.
Off-peak: The Off-peak time period represents the majority of hours in the year. It is priced higher than the Super Off-peak time period, but much lower than the On-peak time period.
On-peak: The On-peak time period—the time when it costs most to produce electricity—is weekdays, June through September, from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m., non-holidays. The PEV prices are higher during the peak period, which represents about 5 percent of the hours in a year. Although more costly, on-peak times also provide an opportunity for you to save. Something as simple as raising the temperature setting on your thermostat during peak times or shifting use of a clothes dryer away from peak times can result in even more savings to your bill

So far I love the super off peak rate of about $0.04 per KWH - bill even with LEAF are significantly lower than last year's. Note that the rate is like 0.013 but then they add $0.03 for each KWH no matter when used. Thus the Summer Peak rate is about $0.24 and not 0.206 per KWH - thinking of super cooling my house during the evening and making sure there is enough cooling with fans to NOT use any A/C during peak hours. I bought two NEST wifi thermostats that I can set to minimize usage remotely, but wife is at home all the time - thus it would be impossible for me to cut all usage off every day.

braineo said:
So far I love the super off peak rate of about $0.04 per KWH - bill even with LEAF are significantly lower than last year's. Note that the rate is like 0.013 but then they add $0.03 for each KWH no matter when used. Thus the Summer Peak rate is about $0.24 and not 0.206 per KWH - thinking of super cooling my house during the evening and making sure there is enough cooling with fans to NOT use any A/C during peak hours. I bought two NEST wifi thermostats that I can set to minimize usage remotely, but wife is at home all the time - thus it would be impossible for me to cut all usage off every day.

braineo, I'm in a very similar situation. My wife is at home all day, so I can't cut A/C entirely during the day, which has made me hesitant to switch. I'm worried about what happens when the A/C kicks in and I'm running the meter at that $0.24/kwh rate. I'd be interested to hear how your bill looks this summer. I haven't pulled the trigger on the TOU rate because of this.

I also looked into the EV rate. Besides more than double at peak time, my main concern is the off peak rate (6.1c), which is 0.8-1.6c higher (depending on usage) than the standard rate for the 8 off peak months. Compared to the nights and weekend rate, the peak rate is about the same, but the off peak rate is 1.1c higher for the EV plan, which includes all usage time except weekday 2-7p in summer and 11-7a all days. Unless one can move many other energy usage to 11p-7a also (washing and drying, dishwashing etc), I thing EV plan could result in higher bill with one LEAF driving <12,000 miles. If one can minimize 2-7p peak usage, nights and weekend rates might be better than standard rate in summer. However, the increase of electric bill with one Leaf 1K/mo is so little (~$20 now, maybe up to $40 in summer), I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.

getabetterpic said:
braineo said:

braineo, I'm in a very similar situation. My wife is at home all day, so I can't cut A/C entirely during the day, which has made me hesitant to switch. I'm worried about what happens when the A/C kicks in and I'm running the meter at that $0.24/kwh rate. I'd be interested to hear how your bill looks this summer. I haven't pulled the trigger on the TOU rate because of this.

On the morning commute to Alpharetta (Windward Pkwy/GA 400), I saw four different Leaf's this AM. Maybe it's because I'm a new Leaf Leasee, but I'm seeing a lot more on the roads these days.

sonnylax said:
On the morning commute to Alpharetta (Windward Pkwy/GA 400), I saw four different Leaf's this AM. Maybe it's because I'm a new Leaf Leasee, but I'm seeing a lot more on the roads these days.

Same here...used to see one or two a week. Now I am seeing one a day it seems!

braineo said:

They'll get money back from you with interest starting in June... And you're locked in a contract for twelve months too. Is that 3 cents added to each kWh on this rate alone or are you counting an average extra cost after taxes and fees and such?

Back