Anyone in Georgia?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My commute is nothing special, 28 miles round trip, all on surface streets, average speed of around 25 - 30 mph. It's some rolling hills, but nothing more than a few percent grade. The Leaf would rarely see the highway, about the only time I currently get on the highway is to go to Costco, that would be about a 15 mile round trip, starting from and returning home. I may be going to Lake Lanier frequently, that would be about an 85 mile round trip, and that's what may make things difficult, particularly if my wife doesn't want to drive the Leaf. (I haven't approached her with the idea yet) I have a 2002 Focus hatchback that she doesn't like, so that may be some motivation for her to want to drive the Leaf.

Having driven the Leaf, I can't see why anyone would dislike driving one, but it is kind of funny looking, and that may turn her off. If it had a 120 mile range, I'd be at the dealership tomorrow, but 75 miles leaves me a bit of a conundrum, as there are a few trips each year it wouldn't make.

Having said that, there are some awfully attractive lease offers. The current one is $2000 at signing and $250 per month for three years, plus the obligatory tax and tag. When you consider the fuel cost savings, maintenance savings, and the likely repair costs on my nearly 11 year old Focus, I could come out money ahead and be able to drive a new car as well. I'm driving about 11,000 miles per year now, so the lease mileage would be enough. I am a little concerned about the long term value of a Leaf, because, let's face it, it's the Model T of the modern electric car movement, and there's no doubt that there are better battery chemistries in our future. I've never leased a car before as I've always kept them for a long time, and I'm not sure I like the idea. It does give a guaranteed resale value, though.

One more complication is that I'll be needing a car for my daughter in a little less than four years, and I think a Leaf would be an ideal car for a teenager, since they don't go very far.

If there is an electrical outlet at your Lake Lanier destination and you would be there for a few hours, I'd say you would be able to make that trip without difficulty. So much the better if you can get a 240 volt outlet installed and use your converted EVSE that came with the car.

As for the wife, well, I can't make any recommendations on that topic, or the teenage driver, but I can say that my wife loves the LEAF. She isn't a big fan of the red (she says orange but if pressed she will conceed copperish) color but she loves not having to buy gasoline.

I try to suggest to restaurants that I might go to that they should have EV charging stations installed. I even wrote to MARTA asking if they had them at the North Springs stop. The answwer came back, no. I then suggested they could robably add them for free with the Blink offering free charging stations. They thought that was a good idea and submitted the suggestion to the higher ups.

We have a 2001 Passat that we use when we know the LEAF won't make the trip but it mostly sits in the driveway.

FormerFF said:
My commute is nothing special, 28 miles round trip, all on surface streets, average speed of around 25 - 30 mph. It's some rolling hills, but nothing more than a few percent grade. The Leaf would rarely see the highway, about the only time I currently get on the highway is to go to Costco, that would be about a 15 mile round trip, starting from and returning home. I may be going to Lake Lanier frequently, that would be about an 85 mile round trip, and that's what may make things difficult, particularly if my wife doesn't want to drive the Leaf. (I haven't approached her with the idea yet) I have a 2002 Focus hatchback that she doesn't like, so that may be some motivation for her to want to drive the Leaf.
There is a charging station inside Lake Lanier Islands, near the golf course, but you have to pay to get in. If you have a couple hours access to a 120v plug while you are there, it would get you over the hump to get back. I made an 84 mile round trip to Athens on back roads. Got low battery warning a couple miles from my house. It went fine but might not in hot or cold weather. Getting a little juice while you are there would make it manageable.

If any of you are following my quest for the GA state income tax credit... The signed form from environmental protection came in the mail today! I am eligible!! YIPPEE!! :D

jimcmorr said:
If any of you are following my quest for the GA state income tax credit... The signed form from environmental protection came in the mail today! I am eligible!! YIPPEE!! :D
Congratulations! I would not have bet that you would get it. Now you just have to wait about 8 more months to get your money :roll: .

Thanks Jim. I was hopeful but not confident. Though was encouraged after talking with James Udi on the phone laast week. Still it was a very happy day when I found it in the mail box this afternoon! And yes it will be great to get that money next March!

nogajim said:
jimcmorr said:
Congratulations! I would not have bet that you would get it. Now you just have to wait about 8 more months to get your money :roll: .

FormerFF said:
I've seen two Leafs in the "wild", a blue one near my office in Norcross, and a black one near my home in Roswell. And of course, there are always a couple at Regal Nissan just waiting to be taken home.

Depending on when you saw them it may have been me, I demo'd a blue one in late sept and bought a black one. I live in Norcross and work in Roswell. I can tell you from my commuting that run, the car has been perfect. Finally did a stress test, did my commute on Friday and then did dinner in Suwannee, got home with 1 bar and 6 miles. I was perfectly happy, as I started with an 80% charge and that was about 70 miles.

I would say, if you really want one... Get one now and lease, Nissan has a fantastic lease deal right now. For me that allows me a lot of options in 3 years to allow for the advancement of tech in the EV world.

Side note, we installed the level 2 charger ourselves this weekend. Hard work and broken, but came out better in the end.

I was up at Lake Lanier on Sunday, and didn't see any possibility of charging, so that's probably out. The other issue is I'd need to move a 750 lb boat and trailer a short distance into the water, and the Leaf couldn't handle that anyway. I'll have to see if my wife would be interested in trading cars on the days I would be going to the lake.

First, I have to sell my hang glider.

Do we get a 5k tax credit on GA for leases as well? Or do we just get 20% of what we pay for the lease as a credit?

I could not determine the correct answer from this page:
http://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/laws/GA/incentive/3234" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am counting on the $5000, 20% of $30,000 is $6000. The cost of the LEAF is the same whether you buy it or lease it. IMHO

This does not appear to be talking about the monthly lease payment.

Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) Tax Credit

An income tax credit is available to individuals who purchase or lease a new ZEV. The amount of the tax credit is 20% of the vehicle cost, up to $5,000. For the purpose of this credit, a ZEV is defined as a motor vehicle that has zero tailpipe and evaporative emissions, including a pure electric vehicle.

sirtom said:
Do we get a 5k tax credit on GA for leases as well? Or do we just get 20% of what we pay for the lease as a credit?

I could not determine the correct answer from this page:
http://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/laws/GA/incentive/3234" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FormerFF said:
I was up at Lake Lanier on Sunday, and didn't see any possibility of charging, so that's probably out. The other issue is I'd need to move a 750 lb boat and trailer a short distance into the water, and the Leaf couldn't handle that anyway. I'll have to see if my wife would be interested in trading cars on the days I would be going to the lake.

First, I have to sell my hang glider.

There is Nissan dealer in Gainesville on eastern side of browns bridge with docking stations and there is a Jim's electrical site off browns bridge west side Off 400 north just past exit 17

I passed by Regal Nissan after work today and had to do a double take.
I thought I saw 15 Leafs on the lot. Last time I was there they only had two on the lot and one in the showroom.
I'll have to take a closer look this weekend.

On a side note I was looking into renting a Leaf for a week. Turns out the Spring Street and Courtland Enterprise had them 3 months ago but no more.

bill said:
I passed by Regal Nissan after work today and had to do a double take.
I thought I saw 15 Leafs on the lot. Last time I was there they only had two on the lot and one in the showroom.
I'll have to take a closer look this weekend.

On a side note I was looking into renting a Leaf for a week. Turns out the Spring Street and Courtland Enterprise had them 3 months ago but no more.

Regal is great to work with, but they won't budge on the negotiations. Very courteous though.

Turns out that I won't be going to Lake Lanier with any regularity in the next couple of years, so the Leaf again becomes a possibility. I've got at least a few months to make a decision, so I'm going to wait until the 2013s release date approaches before making a decision.

who was that i passed on I-20 yesterday 12/11/12 flying down the highway?,

3 Cars: Tesla model S , Leaf and my VOLT.

tesla.jpg

I found out that the form I had was obsolete and was pointed to the current one on the division's web site: http://www.gaepd.org/Files_PDF/forms/apb/apb_LEVZEVTAX.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; James Udi told me that this form must be printed on a color printer or they won't accept it. In my case they said they would accept the lease agreement in place of the bill of sale. He also needed the GA registration receipt, and photos of the car front and back. I sent it all off yesterday. Hopefully I will receive the signed form granting me the GA state income tax credit.
Hello Jim.....I too leased a LEAF here in Georgia last week, getting all of the paerwork together for James Udi and was just wondering about the registration receipt, where did you get that? being a lease I thought maybe the docs went to Nissan Corp leasing?

Thanks,
Greg

gergg said:
I found out that the form I had was obsolete and was pointed to the current one on the division's web site: http://www.gaepd.org/Files_PDF/forms/apb/apb_LEVZEVTAX.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; James Udi told me that this form must be printed on a color printer or they won't accept it. In my case they said they would accept the lease agreement in place of the bill of sale. He also needed the GA registration receipt, and photos of the car front and back. I sent it all off yesterday. Hopefully I will receive the signed form granting me the GA state income tax credit.
Hello Jim.....I too leased a LEAF here in Georgia last week, getting all of the paerwork together for James Udi and was just wondering about the registration receipt, where did you get that? being a lease I thought maybe the docs went to Nissan Corp leasing?

Thanks,
Greg

Hi. I got the registration receipt when I paid for the plates. It's the document I kept in my glove box.

I finally got the "prestige" plate in the mail a few weeks ago. And I got the approval from the Georgia environmental board too.

:D

The Georgia State Income Tax Credit applies to both a purchaser or a lessor. I leased my 2011 Nissan LEAF and was able to take a $1500 tax credit on the 2011 Georgia Income Tax return leaving a balance of $3500 which I have four more years to apply. Looks like I will be receving a complete refund of all my Georgia Income Tax withholding for serveral more years.

Also, it does not matter what is the length of the lease. I checked with James Udi boss the other day and he told me the credit applies regardless of the length of the lease.

Anyone interested in more information is invitied to the EV Club of the South meetings on the third Wednesday of each month at Manuel's Tavern (Highland Avenue at North Avenue) at 6:00 pm. We now have quite a few Nissan LEAF owners as members.

Just a caution. I found a Houston, LEAF for sale here in Georgia with only 11 bars.

http://www.atlantabestusedcars.com/detail-2011-nissan-leaf-sl-used-9848003.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back